PDA

View Full Version : Rear fenders

Dezurfer
02-02-2013, 08:45 AM
What are the laws here to rear fenders & tire size? Or fenders period? In California you have to have 1/2 the tire covered by a rear fender or have mudflaps.

I just cut the rear opening wheel well larger & removed the rubber fender last night is this street legal? I'm running 35's
Can I do a comp cut in the rear on 35's & not get a ticket

05X4X4
02-02-2013, 12:06 PM
I've done some research for another member on here, and there is no law saying that you have to have fenders on the vehicle. We also have no lift laws, as long as your head lights are within a certain height range you can basically do whatever you want. Now having said that, that was last year. I would double check again to make sure it's still the same.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

05X4X4
02-02-2013, 12:08 PM
http://liftlaws.com/texas_lift_laws.htm

PondSkum
02-02-2013, 02:37 PM
As far as I know, there IS a tire coverage law, but it's not enforced.. I've been running for the past couple years with no fender flares (just re-installed them a couple weeks ago) and I never had anyone say anything. I've seen tons of Jeeps with tube fenders, etc, running around. I've also seen pickup trucks with no bed on them, and no kind of flaps or anything..

05X4X4
02-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I looked at several different sources and could find nothing regarding fenders or tire coverage.

PondSkum
02-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Maybe it went away.. I think I looked it up a long time ago, and it was something like the tires couldn't protrude more than 3" farther than the fender/flare... but I've never heard of anyone having any issues, just make sure you have all your marker/signal lights, and you are good to go..

Dezurfer
02-02-2013, 06:55 PM
I want to ask the Constable who hides near the stop light at my community. But, dont want to red flag myself with him if he says my Jeeps not legal & then having CA plates.

05X4X4
02-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Go to him in another vehicle. Lol

texasfrog
02-03-2013, 01:08 AM
http://www.tx4wd.org/showthread.php?257-Texas-state-inspection-laws

BTW that other site posted has a lot of flaws.

JD01
02-03-2013, 06:04 AM
I want to ask the Constable who hides near the stop light at my community. But, dont want to red flag myself with him if he says my Jeeps not legal & then having CA plates.

Texas laws are not as strict as California I wouldn't make that much of a big deal out of it

The only way a jeep can keep up with me is when I'm pulling my trailer down the road

Stouttrout
02-03-2013, 07:43 PM
There are not tire overhang laws in Texas. NONE. Like listed there are height restrictions on headlights and taillights. And total width restriction. Also, ask a constable anything you want and chances are they will not know the law. If you want the right answer go into a DPS station and the guys that are trained to maintain road safety not chase kids around. ;) My big full width Jeep got stopped once and it was because the deputy wanted to take a better look at it. I had 42" tire that hung out all the way past the body.