PDA

View Full Version : Issues when measuring for bump stops...

PondSkum
01-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Ok so I'm doing some maintenance and needed adjustments/repairs on my Jeep suspension, and in my attempt to measure for bump stop extensions, I find out that my steering linkage and trac bar are limiting my travel before the bump stops even get close. I have the RE HD track bar and drop bracket, and Currie steering. The tie rod hits the drop bracket when the bump is about 6" from touching.

This was while lifting the axle straight up "full bump" with no springs. If I lift only the drivers side, it goes a couple inches further before hitting, approx 4" from bumpstop. Passenger side will go all the way up until shock bottoms out approx 2-1/2" from bump.

So I'm not sure what my options are.. It doesn't look like the contact is causing damage (yet).. Should I just extend the drivers side bump stop to hit before the linkage does? I don't know that there are any options to eliminate the interference without removing the drop bracket, which was installed to help my death wobble issues that I had before..

Any ideas? I've gone this long with no bump stops, should I just not worry about it?

Dustin.K
01-17-2014, 12:51 AM
Lifting one side at a time is your accurate way to check bump rather than lifting the entire axle at once.

That said, you are going to either have to add enough bumpstop to keep the bracket out of the tie rod or ditch it.

Personally I'd get rid of the trackbar drop bracket and buy a trackbar that works without it. I'm running the metalcloak from trackbar and have no complaints so far. Savvy and JKS are also good options.

ExpoLj
01-17-2014, 08:41 AM
First question; did you put on a drop pitman arm when you put on the frame side drop TB Bracket?

Do you have adjustable upper and lower control arms? What is the pinion and caster angle set at?

When you push the axle straight up are the bumpstop cups centered on the bumpstop pad?

What is the compressed length of your front shocks? I'm guessing ~16".

Rubicon express advertises that bracket and tracbar for 4.5 to 7.5" of lift meaning they probably assume ~4" of bumpstop extension for longer compressed length shocks.

For currie steering Currie states"NOTE: This unit is designed to be used on vehicles with 4" of lift. It can be used on vehicles with less lift, but the vehicle must have a minimum of a 2" bump stop (over stock). Also, on vehicles with no lift, 2 of the tie rod ends may need be trimmed to achieve proper adjustment."

Dustin.K
01-17-2014, 09:23 AM
I'd just like to point out I posted in a bumpstop thread before Clay :banana