PDA

View Full Version : NP 231 t-case leakage

PondSkum
05-16-2012, 09:15 PM
I just noticed my t-case leaking at the tailshaft housing joint... The spot with the hex plug in it doesn't have any bolts near it. So it relies on the RTV to seal it... I guess the RTV seal broke and t started leaking.. Anyone ever have this issue?? I don't want to rip into it before the beach run, but I'm hoping it's only the RTV leaking and not something more serious!

I have a PORC SYE kit..

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/gpinjason/Jeep%20Stuff/misc/73d0528a.jpg

Stouttrout
05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Mine was doing that in the LJ, It looked like it was coming from that bolt but it turned out to be the Oring on the Speedo gear was broke. It was seeping down and running from that spot. i would say either way your fine, Does not look to be that bad.

DJJordache
05-17-2012, 05:42 AM
on your PORC sye kit did you also have o grind out some of the inside part of the shift rail for the shifter to work? I had to and it was a pain because I had to take it apart 2x to get everything right. shame it was not just a straight bolt in kit.
as for the leak, if you don't see a crack you should be good, just check the level and seal it later

PondSkum
05-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Mine was doing that in the LJ, It looked like it was coming from that bolt but it turned out to be the Oring on the Speedo gear was broke. It was seeping down and running from that spot. i would say either way your fine, Does not look to be that bad.

It's actually coming from the joint where the tail housing is RTV'd to the t-case housing. I will just keep an eye on it...

on your PORC sye kit did you also have o grind out some of the inside part of the shift rail for the shifter to work? I had to and it was a pain because I had to take it apart 2x to get everything right. shame it was not just a straight bolt in kit.
as for the leak, if you don't see a crack you should be good, just check the level and seal it later

I didn't have to modify anything.. it went right in no problem..

The oil level was a little low, but I topped it off and it was only about 1/4 of a quart before it started running out the hole...

BUTTY
05-18-2012, 10:19 AM
It's actually coming from the joint where the tail housing is RTV'd to the t-case housing. I will just keep an eye on it...

I didn't have to modify anything.. it went right in no problem..

The oil level was a little low, but I topped it off and it was only about 1/4 of a quart before it started running out the hole...

Jason I have one I'll let go cheep515

PondSkum
05-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Jason I have one I'll let go cheep515

James, how cheap? not sure yet, but I may need it.... I am gonna have to tear into mine after that long trip it started making some weird noises, and looks like the leak may have gotten worse... what year model is that t-case from? and are they all the same inside?

BUTTY
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I have $150 in it I'll let you have it for that. I dont know what year it is but it is a 231 J so it should be the same as yours.

PondSkum
05-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I have $150 in it I'll let you have it for that. I dont know what year it is but it is a 231 J so it should be the same as yours.

OK, I'll let you know what I find out.. I pulled the fill plug last night and the t-case is still full of oil... so I'm not sure where the noise is coming from now... :nutkick

BUTTY
05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
What kind of noise is it making/

BUTTY
05-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Got the answer to my question on TJO

PondSkum
05-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Well.. Had a little time to investigate today, and the culprit ended up being.... The rear pinion nut backed out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UZU5Rnlxak&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now... Why would it loosen up like that? Can that happen from driveline vibrations?

I need to open up the diff and make sure nothing got damaged inside, but it sounds and feels good and smooth driving...

Stouttrout
05-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Your probably driving too much in reverse.

Stouttrout
05-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Did that Ujoint wobble?

PondSkum
05-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Looks like it huh?