PDA

View Full Version : Tow Rig Decision

conny3737
06-21-2012, 06:19 AM
I am going to finally bite the bullet and buy a tow rig. Just wanted to see is anyone has/has experience with the new F350, Ram 3500 or Chevy/GMC 3500. I will more than likely be going the dually route. Nowadays I don't think that there is a bad decision to be made with the three new trucks. This rig will replace the H3 for my daily driver yet will also see tow duties to drag around the big Hummer. As always there are +/- to each of the three.

Ford
+Tons of power
+ Straight axle
+Great fit/finish in the cab with tons of room
+ Super quiet cabin
- Unproven motor and trans although it is looking to be a very formidable drivetrain
- Have to add exhaust fluid
-Everyone and their mother has a Ford around here (I like to be unique :wiggle)
-Somewhat ugly half-dually fenders

Chevy/GMC
+ Tons of power
+ Has a proven reliable drivetrain
- Worst interior of the three
- Cab smaller than the other two trucks
- IFS on a one ton truck :screwy
- Most expensive of the three
- Have to add exhaust fluid

Dodge (Mega Cab most likely)
+ Best exterior/interior styling
+ Cheapest option of the three
+ Best exhaust brake by far
+ Sound of a Cummins motor :)
+ Only one of all three to not need exhaust fluid
+ Don't see a whole lot of these running around (Mega Cab Dually)
- Lots of Headgasket issues (or so it appears from what I've been reading--any thoughts Mojo?)
- Weakest tranny of all three
- Worst mileage
- Underpowered compared to the others

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated!!

-Josh

MIKEYLIKESIT
06-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Dodge still hasn't fixed their tranny problems yet after all these years? i love my Ford, but it's an older model.

Puddin
06-21-2012, 07:20 AM
2010 Dodge here, 1 ton dually. Fuel Milagros is my only complaint, haven't had any troubles with this truck. Pulls a gooseneck with 2 full-size rigs on it at 85mph all day long no sweat. I wouldn't call it underpowered.

conny3737
06-21-2012, 08:14 AM
None of the rigs are underpowered, I completely agree. How can you be with 800ftlbs?! However, both the Chevy and Ford are hotrods compared to the get-up-and-go of the Dodge. Not an issue really, just an observation. From what I've been reading, the trannys are a little stouter nowadays but still have problems managing any increase in power. I suppose the same can be said about the longevity of an Allison behind a turned up Duramax.

RubiconAg
06-21-2012, 08:54 AM
From what I understand, a couple mods on a dodge gets you increased performance AND mileage. I may be mistaken, but I believe EGR delete and DPF delete really wake that Cummins up.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

jam0o0
06-21-2012, 09:22 AM
From what I understand, a couple mods on a dodge gets you increased performance AND mileage. I may be mistaken, but I believe EGR delete and DPF delete really wake that Cummins up.

what are the rules on removing emissions stuff from a new truck? i thought the last three years have emissions inspections?

uppidycon
06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
from what i understand, a couple mods on a dodge gets you increased performance and mileage. I may be mistaken, but i believe egr delete and dpf delete really wake that cummins up.

Sent from my atrix 4g using tapatalk 2

that's what i'll be doing here soon on my 2009 6.7l.. Then i'm going to run 4 or 5" exhaust from the turbo.. My 3/4 ton 4x4 dodge pulls my jeep great..

PondSkum
06-21-2012, 10:52 AM
what are the rules on removing emissions stuff from a new truck? i thought the last three years have emissions inspections?

I wanna say that diesel's are exempt... but I could be wrong... but I do know that out in the country (outside Harris County), emissions aren't required...

Puddin
06-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Diesels are still exempt right now. The egr delete will wake the Cummins up, at the cost of your warranty. I went to a tractor pull this past year and out of 20 pulling trucks, one was a Chevy and the rest were Dodges, consensus was that the Dodge was the cheapest and easiest to make power with. Personally I just like the look better, it's more about comfort and looks today, as they are all darn nice trucks that can get the job done.

Stouttrout
06-21-2012, 02:33 PM
I used to drive nothing but Dodges. Two things they still need to work on. There paint sucks. It fades and flakes. Their interiors suck. They break down, rattle and squeak. If you buy a Dodge truck, your buying the cummins only. My 96 F350 ford is tight inside with no rattle and squeaks. Paint is still good. Engine is strong as hell. My other three Fords are the same. 2002 Excursion and 2006 F250.

Now, out of the new ones, I would probably buy a Ford or a Chevy but I never buy new so...... Ask me again about this years models in about 5 years.

conny3737
06-21-2012, 02:45 PM
EGR and DPF delete are definitely two ways to wake up any diesel along with getting some more mpg's. Every car I have ever owned has been modded, however, voiding the warranty on a truck this expensive scares me. Now, a year or two down the road and I wouldn't have an issue doing some mods. The Cummins definitely has the most potential for making power currently since the new Duramax has a locked down ECU and the Ford runs out of fuel a little over 500hp. Another aspect on the Dodge is that it is much easier to work on b/c of the room in the engine compartment (gotta love inlines). I know that my wife saw a Mega Cab Dually at Sam's club and absolutely loved it, I would have to agree. They look damn sexy ever since going back to the full dually bedside instead of the small flares.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to drive nothing but Dodges. Two things they still need to work on. There paint sucks. It fades and flakes. Their interiors suck. They break down, rattle and squeak. If you buy a Dodge truck, your buying the cummins only. My 96 F350 ford is tight inside with no rattle and squeaks. Paint is still good. Engine is strong as hell. My other three Fords are the same. 2002 Excursion and 2006 F250.

Now, out of the new ones, I would probably buy a Ford or a Chevy but I never buy new so...... Ask me again about this years models in about 5 years.

Definitely agree about the older trucks. The reason to buy a Dodge a few years ago was solely b/c of the motor and nothing else. With that said, they have come miles in this latest generation truck. Fit and finish are excellent and the Laramie truly makes the Chevy/GMC look like a piece.

MIKEYLIKESIT
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
dang y'all! how much power do you need to pull a jeep around?? i'm still stock and pull a full size bronco around like its nothing.

Puddin
06-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Mine is stock!

I had an 05 Chevy, bought it new and had it in the shop 9 times in 2 years, sold that POS! I am not a brand specific guy I will drive anything I like at the time. I currently have many makes in my driveway. They all have downfalls. Cheap interior is a given in this day and age. I have an 87 Chevy 1ton that does not sauerkraut or rattle, but all the seals and interior are new. I would expect a 5-10 year old truck to have some issues. Not many people take care of things anymore, cars are throwaways after a few years. God forbore people keep a vehicle and pay it off instead of trading it in. That's why I just buy what appeals to me at the time. They all have problems sooner or later.

TXRED
06-21-2012, 08:43 PM
All I have to say on the subject is don't make it blow all that black smoke. All the college kids around here are about to smoke me out. It seems like every intersection has black fog in it. And don't take off the muffler. I must be getting old.

conny3737
06-22-2012, 06:16 AM
All I have to say on the subject is don't make it blow all that black smoke. All the college kids around here are about to smoke me out. It seems like every intersection has black fog in it. And don't take off the muffler. I must be getting old.

Maybe a few years ago I would be rolling some coal, but now I prefer the power without the wasted diesel going out the tailpipe. Now as far as muffler goes, c'mon Eric you should love the sound of a loud exhaust coming from your racing background. I highly doubt that I will feel compelled to alter anything on the new truck. If I want loud all I have to do is jump in the big Hummer...you can hardly talk to the passenger next to you without yelling.

RubiconAg
06-22-2012, 06:36 AM
dang y'all! how much power do you need to pull a jeep around?? i'm still stock and pull a full size bronco around like its nothing.

Hey Josh, care to post a pic of your rig for Mikey so he knows what you're needing this big rig for...

MIKEYLIKESIT
06-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Hey Josh, care to post a pic of your rig for Mikey so he knows what you're needing this big rig for...

HAHAHA!! OK, so he might be the exception to the rule. i was there for the state wide meet y'all put on a while back and seen the big hummer in action. yes, that thing is huge! makes my bronco look like a sammy! lol!!
i had the little gold cherokee at the meet.

conny3737
06-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Well I pulled the trigger on Saturday and picked up a 2012 Dodge 3500 4x4 Mega Cab dually! It's mineral gray metallic monotone and should be waiting for me at the dealership at lunchtime. Pics soon to follow!!

MIKEYLIKESIT
06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
CONGRATS! that is a nice truck.

jam0o0
06-26-2012, 08:48 AM
congrats.

side question. were there other colors than grey, white, black, silver available?

TXRED
06-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Congrats, now you can move the Monster around.

conny3737
06-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Well, the truck saga isn't quite over yet. I went in to pick up the truck yesterday at lunch and when it finally came out from detailing I saw that they had ordered me the wrong truck! They had brought in a two-tone mineral gray metallic truck instead of a monotone. Needless to say I was pissed. In the past I have purchased form this dealership (although not always Lithia) and have yet to have had a good experience. I was willing to give them one more shot to keep the business local. The GM insisted that I take this truck until the monotone truck arrived which shouldn't be more than a day or two. He also gave me another $500 for my trade to help compensate for the hassle. He also is having the paperwork delivered to the house for signing so we don't have to bring the kiddos in once again (paying attention to paperwork is a joy with an almost 3 year old and a 6 month old). Because they made things right and have been extremely easy to work with I have no reserve about going back there once again to do business or referring others there. In the end, this mistake was actually good for their business bc I have my father-in-law all but convinced to trade in his current diesel (09 F350 cclb) and purchase the truck I'm driving currently. He has never been on this local CJD dealership, but he was impressed about their willingness to make things right.

congrats.

side question. were there other colors than grey, white, black, silver available?

At the dealership that I purchased from (Lithia CJD of Bryan) all they had in stock of the mega cabs was a red slt. They had to dealer trade in order to get the color/options that I wanted. However most rigs they *should* be able to get either the same day or the next. My salesman sucked balls at Lithia however their GM Jay Harper really worked to keep my business and I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

conny3737
06-27-2012, 06:18 AM
Crappy cell phone pic of my temporary ride.

UstabeaRenegade
06-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Well, the one thing I have heard especially about the Dodge is that the mpg REALLY suck until you hit over 20K.

conny3737
06-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I've heard the same. Right now the truck is saying that it is getting right at 14mpg with 150 miles on the ODO which is more than I was expecting out of the gate. If I end up having to put diesel in the truck before I get mine I'll do mpg calculation by hand.

RubiconAg
06-27-2012, 08:07 AM
That looks nice, and I'm sure the monotone will look great, too. That should haul the Hummer and the family around with no problems...

Justinboots
06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I've got a 2011 GMC 3500 4wd Dually that I'm very pleased with aside from the MPG's off the floor. I've taken care of that now though with a Tuner and DPF delete. Getting between 17 and 18 MPGs areund town now...compared to 13 around town before. As far as the warranty concerns go, as soon as you download a tune in a GM truck the warranty is void so doing the DPF delete really doesn't require much more convincing. Driving around at 13MPGs and 8MPGs towing will make you hate your truck. Take it from me!

M1028
07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Well, the one thing I have heard especially about the Dodge is that the mpg REALLY suck until you hit over 20K.

I've owned all three diesels, that was never true. The main things that effects the mileage is how fast you drive and wind. Speed is common since but a good head wind will kill mpg in these big trucks. Most people lie about there mileage to justify spending more on a truck.

Just a heads up we just did egr and dpf delete on my friends 2010 dodge. He went from 12 mpg average to 14. He spent around $1500 for everything, not really worth it in my mind. You can buy a crap ton of diesel for 1500$.

Bar M Offroad
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Looks like you've already made your decission, but I got a 2011 F-250 FX4 Lariat. This thing is a Cadillac with a 400hp 800ft/lb diesel motor in it. The motor is so quite you can hardly tell it's a diesel, and the ride is extremely smooth. AC seats are the best invention ever!! It pulls my rig around without any effort at all. I get about 16mpg normally, and 12 when pulling my rig.

SGT. K
07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Bar M Get a bigger trailer so I can load my heep up with yours and ride in style!:bigok

conny3737
07-18-2012, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=Bar M Offroad;4270]Looks like you've already made your decission, but I got a 2011 F-250 FX4 Lariat. This thing is a Cadillac with a 400hp 800ft/lb diesel motor in it. The motor is so quite you can hardly tell it's a diesel, and the ride is extremely smooth. AC seats are the best invention ever!! It pulls my rig around without any effort at all. I get about 16mpg normally, and 12 when pulling my rig. QUOTE]

My final decision came down to the F350 FX4 Lariat Dually and the Laramie Mega Cab Dually. What sealed the deal on the Dodge was the Mega Cab option (great for throwing the kiddos' car seats back there withouth having to move the fronts seats) and the manueverability of it. I bet the turning radius is at least 5ft tighter. The ford did have the quickness advantage over the Dodge, but in the end that issue can always be fixed. I agree, AC seats are hands down the best option to be put in a truck ever! I don't think there has been a day that they weren't on.

Camo Queen
07-18-2012, 07:20 AM
I love our Mega Cab! We had an 07 with the 6.7 diesel 4x4 and got pretty crappy mileage, 11mpg and 7mpg while towing. It probably didn't help that it had a lift and 20" Nitto Terra Grapplers but it had to go. It was hard to part with all the bells and whistles of a Laramie and go with our 06 5.9 Mega Cab 4x4 but it was worth it. We get about 18-20mpg depending on who's driving and 14mpg towing a trailer with 2 buggies. I love my truck, it fits our family very well and I will never have to worry about driving a minivan or something to that effect just to carry a stroller :-)

Janis Armstrong

conny3737
07-18-2012, 08:05 AM
I love our Mega Cab! We had an 07 with the 6.7 diesel 4x4 and got pretty crappy mileage, 11mpg and 7mpg while towing. It probably didn't help that it had a lift and 20" Nitto Terra Grapplers but it had to go. It was hard to part with all the bells and whistles of a Laramie and go with our 06 5.9 Mega Cab 4x4 but it was worth it. We get about 18-20mpg depending on who's driving and 14mpg towing a trailer with 2 buggies. I love my truck, it fits our family very well and I will never have to worry about driving a minivan or something to that effect just to carry a stroller :-)

Janis Armstrong

Mileage is definitely not a strong suit for the 6.7's but the new ones seem to be better than a couple years ago. I'm currently sitting in the 13-14mpg area with the motor far from being broken in yet (~1600 mi). With some more miles and some deletes I think I'll be happy with the mileage (hopefully upper teens). As for the Mega Cab, I'll never go back to a crew cab again. I've even converted my wife...she now wants a Mega Cab for her next new rig.

-Josh

R2rox
08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
We use a 2011 f250 4x4 with the 6.7 in it and I have been nothing but pleased. We have a 32' flatbed gooseneck that two Jeeps a 4wheeler and whatever else we can cram on it to go wheeling with. The towing power is nice but stopping it when the trailer brakes went bad was what impressed me more than anything.

BagBat
08-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Had a 2003 1500 dodge 5.7 hemi. OUCH on the mpg....not enough power (for me) to tow over a 1% incline! Upgraded to a 2009 dodge 3500 king cab 4X4, 6.7, deleted DPF, chipped and "upsized" to 35's - 28mpg highway (cross country from Texas to northern California) 18-20mpg city; 15-18 towing.
The stopping power IS wonderful - engine and train brakes combined with trailer brakes...the safest stops I can imagine!
I LOVE it!!

JD01
08-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Have a 06 dodge mega cab with the 5.9 and we like it alot way better then the 6.7 I get 20+ on the highway with the 5.9 and with the 6.7 I got 10mpg and that was with no weight pulling a gooseneck with 2 Buggy's on it I get 13-14mpg