PDA

View Full Version : Roll cage and chopped top

EastTxRedneck
08-29-2012, 01:44 PM
i need some input. im trying to get a game plan together to build a roll cage and chop the rear top of my X off. The chop im already real sure how i want to do it but the roll cage is where i need some help. do i need to tie into frame or will putting plates on floor pan at body mounts be sufficient. i was planning or running 2 hoops front to back, put a cross hoop behind rear seat where roof will be cut, put a x overhead up front and out back, cross bar at top of windshield, and possibly one diagonal or a v between front and rear seat. any experienced input is appreciate, pics would help alot too. thanks guys

PondSkum
08-29-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm assuming by "X" you are talkig about an XJ Cherokee?

It all depends on how hard you plan to wheel it.. The factory roll cage on a wrangler is just bolted to the floor above a body mount, and they are pretty tough in a roll over.. Now if you plan on rolling end over end down a mountain, then that's another story... If this is an XJ we are talking about, aren't they "frameless"? Not sure how you would attach to something that doesn't really exist.. LOL

EastTxRedneck
08-29-2012, 08:55 PM
I plan to stay here in texas in bryan maybe around austin, no huge mountains. I have a ford explorer

Mudhog1977
08-29-2012, 08:57 PM
He means explorer, when u get it built post up some pics of the roll cage I need one in mine, a bronco II is basically the same thing

PondSkum
08-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh ok.. I say you should be fine mounting the cage to the floor.. Just weld in the correct bracing and it will be stronger than the sheet metal top that you are cutting off of there!

Mudhog1977
08-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Sorry easttxredneck your quicker than me lol

05X4X4
11-23-2012, 07:42 PM
In my opinion your cage is only as strong as the weakest part. Why do all the work just to mount it to the body, take the time to do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UstabeaRenegade
11-29-2012, 01:21 PM
the problem is on a xj its a unibody vehicle, there is no good place to mount it to. What I have seen done is make a substantial size footing plate welded to the floor then weld your tubing to that, it will spread out the "load" in case its rolled over and since you cant tie it into the frame (there isnt one really) thats the only solution you have.

Mudhog1977
11-29-2012, 02:40 PM
It's got a frame it's an explorer basically the same setup as my bronco II