PDA

View Full Version : 24 volt electric winch question....

bayouhazard
09-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Scored an old warn 24 volt military winch. There are 2 small green wires coming out of the motor. What are these for? I think it may be some kind of sensor for heat to prevent overheating under heavy use. Can I just leave them disconnected and cut them back. Searched for hours and couldn't find any info.....

Stouttrout
09-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Get on SteelSoldiers someone over there will know. What is it of off? I have three old ones here. One is one a 1 ton truck. It had wires coming out. The previous owner sniped them and covered them. Not sure what they were for or to. Also not sure where this winch came from. The other two are on Deuces and do not have wires coming out that I can see.

bayouhazard
09-26-2012, 07:20 AM
I know many years ago I had one that would stop pulling once you got a decent load on it. Just want to make sure they are not part of an automatic brake or something...guess I'll snip them back like you did. Oh, it was off an old army issue hummer. 100 bucks on craiglist. The data plate is obliterated, but looks just like the 12,000 lbs civilian model...

Stouttrout
09-26-2012, 07:35 AM
I think the hummers, used warn in the early years and in more recent years

Stouttrout
09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I have yet to pull hard on this winch I have only used it a few times to pull the tractor out.. Now that I think about it had 2 wires coming out of the back si 1 yellow and 1 green. I don't remember what they want to though

texasfrog
09-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Scored an old warn 24 volt military winch. There are 2 small green wires coming out of the motor. What are these for? I think it may be some kind of sensor for heat to prevent overheating under heavy use. Can I just leave them disconnected and cut them back. Searched for hours and couldn't find any info.....

Correct,good thing to have too. Put a relay and a light on the dash so you will know when it's too hot.