PDA

View Full Version : help. i think my trailer brake controler self destructed.

jam0o0
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
i just finished completely rewiring my car hauler trailer to fix an intermitent brake problem and remove numerous wire taps use by the factory. this trailer has a brake-away battery and all that. i added brakes to the front axle wile i was going through everything.

before i messed with it the brakes worked most of the time. my brother had the same issues when pulling the trailer with his truck.

i just finished wiring it and went to move it with my truck (93 ford with factory harness and an old pendulum controller) but i tested everything first.

on the truck, at the plug, all the lights and the ground are working great. the 12v+ is right on. but the brakes pin is hot as soon as the truck is turned on. this is without plugging in the trailer.

when i plug the trailer into the truck the brake controller light never turns on. also the first 3 times i went to move it to check the brakes weren't locking up even when getting 12v+. then after backing the trailer up the brakes are now locked all the time.

then i pull the brake-away lanyard to try to remove and reinsert it to 'reset that'. with the pin halfway in and connected to the truck, the trailer now rolls.

the trailer brake controller is still dead.

W.T.F.

sorry if this is confusing. i'm at the end of my good ideas. so i need to test the brakes by themselves. and the controller by it's self. any help would be appreciated. also i'm guessing i'm gunna need a new brake controller. any ideas?

BUTTY
10-03-2012, 02:17 PM
What type plug do you have? Here is a link hope this helps.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

UstabeaRenegade
10-04-2012, 07:47 AM
I think maybe your trailer is wired diffrently than your truck is. I have heard of this issue on Fords for some reason. Same reason why my left turn signal on my trailer never works.

jam0o0
10-04-2012, 08:34 AM
ok update time. first: my brain stops working when i'm tired and mad. lol

everything on the trailer side works fine the last 2 days. i wasn't letting the trailer roll enough to get the brakes to engage on sunday. so they were always locked up.

the brake controller is dead. looks like an internal short. as soon as it gets power it sends full voltage to the trailer brakes. i just couldn't believe that it picked this last week of sitting still to die after 265,000 miles.

UstabeaRenegade
10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Figures, i think mine is on the fritz as well - i got a used one from Charles but need to get the adapter plug to get it working