PDA

View Full Version : bead locked rims and 37x13.5x15" tires

uppidycon
11-05-2012, 09:19 AM
this past weekend at hidden falls i have another issues with the inner bead coming off my rim.. before i had bead locks, i aired down 12.5" wide tires to 5 pounds and never had an issue.. this past trip i decided to air down a little more than the 10 to 12 pounds i had been doing due a trip in early 2012 where i lost the inner bead on a rim.. my thoughts are i'm running to narrow of a rime for too wide of a tire.. i'm running a 15x8 steel rim with a 13.5" wide tire and since the outside is bead locked, all the pressure is on the inner bead and it's causing my tire to pop off.. (def. not a thought you need to be very educated to figure out) now, here's my main question to anyone who might have had this issue.. would a 10" rim be better for my needs or should i go back to a 12.5" wide tire?? when i first bought the pitbull rockers in 2009, they didn't have a 37x12.5x15" option.. now they do.. OR!! should i switch to a 10" rim and keep my 37x13.5x15's and see if the wider rims help keep the inner bead on? at least with a 10" rim there's only a 1.75" difference between the rim and the outside of the tire instead of the current 2.75" difference i currently have.. if i decide to get new rims/tires, the custom bead locks i currently have will be cut down at my buddies machine shop so they are available for anyone to use..

PondSkum
11-05-2012, 09:47 AM
the weld on bead locks add almost 1 inch to the width of the rim, since you move the bead to the outside of the actual rim.. so running a 10" wheel with weld on beadlock, you really have an 11 inch wide rim where the beads mount. I think the pitbull sidewalls are just too flexible for that type of rim, needs to be a true beadlock, inner and outer.. that's my thoughts..

it could also be the offset of the 8" wheel contributing, since what I saw both times was the tire getting hung up on something underneath the axle and pushing in worse.. maybe it was the shock mount or control arm bracket or something... maybe using a spacer, or a wheel that offsets more outward will help? Just throwing out my thoughts...

uppidycon
11-05-2012, 02:50 PM
i guess i'll just get the DW fixed and put the wheel spacers on it.. then try again the next trip and see how the tires do.. if i still have issues, i'll look into other alternatives..

JD01
11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I've got 39" pit bulls and have never had that problem they are 16.5" wide and im running a 12" rim and in the front tires I run 5psi and the rear 3psi and have never had a problem with my inner beads and the pit bulls do awesome

BUTTY
11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Inflatable dead locks?

rkik
11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
You may want to measure the width of the inner bead seat groove on the wheel and then measure the bead thickness on the tire to see if the two are compatible.

Check this thread out

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/962575-tire-beadlock-survey.html

uppidycon
11-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I've got 39" pit bulls and have never had that problem they are 16.5" wide and im running a 12" rim and in the front tires I run 5psi and the rear 3psi and have never had a problem with my inner beads and the pit bulls do awesome

since you have a 12" wide rim, my theory that my rim is too narrow for my tire don't match up..

- - - Updated - - -

You may want to measure the width of the inner bead seat groove on the wheel and then measure the bead thickness on the tire to see if the two are compatible.

Check this thread out

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/962575-tire-beadlock-survey.html

that is very interesting and will definitaly check into it.. my tire is still off the bead so i can check it this week.. thanks for the info.. this is the kind of info i was hoping to find..

XJ4IV
11-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I have the same kind of issue as far as blowing the bead out... though at THIS time I don't have locks at ALL... I was hoping to see if there is a solution as far as tire width to rim width... I have H2 wheels which are a 17X8 and I have boggers 37X13 I cannot pressure below 10 or im on the hilift and starter fluid all day!

PondSkum
11-07-2012, 09:14 AM

Check this thread out

That makes lots of sense!! I would bet that is the issue! As easy as they pop off the bead, it has to be.

Puddin
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Probably wouldnt hurt to scuff up the wheel surface where the bead grabs, could be a bit slick.

uppidycon
11-08-2012, 12:03 PM
something else i'm going to look into is screwing self tapping screws into the back side of the rim every 2 inches around the rim.. i saw it on pirate and talked to mark c about it..

Mudhog1977
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
something else i'm going to look into is screwing self tapping screws into the back side of the rim every 2 inches around the rim.. i saw it on pirate and talked to mark c about it..

Be careful damage to the bead could cause it to leak or worse blowout

texasfrog
11-14-2012, 11:33 PM
They don't screw into the tire bead,they screw in right behind it so the tire bead can't be pushed past the raised safety bead on the rim.

Mudhog1977
11-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Oh ok didn't know ... Brought back memories of tires blowing up in my face when I worked at a tire shop

texasfrog
11-15-2012, 09:07 AM
I can understand the confusion,I learned how to do it right way after my failed attempts of doing it the old school drag racing method myself. It does not stop a tire from slipping on the rim like a headlock,that is why you should only do this in conjunction with a outer beadlock.

Mudhog1977
11-15-2012, 10:02 AM
That's what I was thinking screwing the rim to the bead