User Tag List

Thread: 1500 watt power inverter install

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 watt power inverter install

Just finished installing a 1500 watt power inverter this past weekend.

Before I talk about the install, I'd like to let y'all know about the excellent customer service I recently received from exploreelectric.com.

After trying to purchase a Thor TH1000 Power Inverter from two other companies on-line a couple of weeks ago and having both of them cancel my order each time because they were out-of-stock, I found after doing a google search that Explore Electric claimed to have them in stock. I went ahead and placed yet another order on-line through them, this being the first time I had ever done business with them. A couple of hours later I was not too surprised when they sent me an e-mail telling me that they were out-of-stock of them as well. Now, with the other two companies I had placed the orders with all I received from them were order cancellation notices. But this was not the case this time. The owner of Explore Electric actually sent me an e-mail apologizing for the inconvenience. He went on to say that he had contacted the manufacturer (Thor) and they were currently out of the TH1000's at this time with no current eta. So then he went on to say that he did have the next largest size inverter in stock and he offered to upgrade my order to the TH1500 at no extra charge. Which that particular model was about $80 bucks more. I responded letting him know that I certainly appreciated the offer to upgrade at no extra cost and commended him on his excellent customer service. And within 3 business days of purchase, my upgraded order arrived. Their website is www.exploreelectric.com so check them out. I highly recommend doing business with a company with such great customer service!

Now, onto a few pics of the install.

I wanted to install a inverter for those few times you find yourself out in the middle of nowhere and need 110v. After doing a little research, I decided to go with the Thor unit.

Here is the Thor 1500 watt power inverter mounted. It required 2 runs of #4 awg wire (1 positive, 1 negative) to be ran from the battery. I have dual deep cycle batteries in my rig. The red extension you see plugged into the inverter runs to an added 110v access located on the outside of the vehicle you will see in the following pic.

Here is a pic of where the 110V will be accessible on the outside of the vehicle. This is the original fuel filler door on the passenger side that was no longer in use. I decided to install a 110v plug inside it for easy access.

The inverter has a remote switch that controls it. I mounted it in the dash in the factory clock location as the inverter is mounted in the back with the other electronics.

All in all I am pleased with it. It powers my power tools just like I had plugged them into a wall socket in my garage. For intermittent use, such as with power tools, it does not require the truck's motor to be running. However, for continuous use you would definitely need to have the motor running to keep the batteries charged.
    Last edited by TOYMINATOR; 11-19-2012 at 03:19 PM.

RubiconAg is offline Chapter Vice President Bryan/College Station Chapter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice writeup. Are my eyes going bad or is that a male 110 plug in the pic? So you have a special female to female cord you use with it? If so, may I ask why?

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, your eyes aren't deceiving you, that is a male plug...and yes, I have a special extension cord I made up with 2 female ends on it. The reason I used a male plug in the fuel filler door is that I needed it to be recessed and after searching and searching on the internet I could not find a female recessed receptacle. So that's what I ended up with!