User Tag List

Thread: My trip from San Diego to Houston, Tx over 600 miles offroad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My trip from San Diego to Houston, Tx over 600 miles offroad

I just took the 4 day route here (not touching I-10.)
    Took a few dirt roads thru Southern Arizona into Tombstone, Az. Then a wash up to I-10. After getting into El Paso got south of I-10 & took a dirt road into Van Horn. There along side Hwy 90 had a dirt road beside Hwy 90 from Alpine to Del Rio. Pretty impressed with the Baja terrain in West Texas from town to town. Ups & downs with quick turns & lots of jumps with the WTF big dips bottoming out plenty of times. Then road would go off following the train tracks back in the wilderness. Over 300 miles of Baja style terrain just in Texas.

What made this trip even more insane was the 8" of snow & 25mph winds. That the Weather Channel did not tell me about 2 days before leaving. I heard I-10 was closed & looking over on hwy 90 it was iced over with no plows. My snow trail was smooth & no issues. Actually safer than the hwy.

So, I just moved to Houston (Spring) today & will be looking for some wheeling buddies to take some trips towards Austin & other crawling areas. BTW-Any real fab guys or off road racers around here? Hoping to start building another race truck & keep racing SCORE races & maybe start racing the Texas Desert Racing races.

Woke up in El Paso to snow????

About to head off down a wash on the border of Mexico. Its snowing in mainland Mex...

I had to put the complete top on & then stuff dirty underwear & shirts behind my head to keep the freezing 25mph winds out of the Jeep.

Hwy 90 pretty dangerous

- - - Updated - - -

The trail hugging the rail road tracks to Alpine, Tx for 100 miles

Ice trail shows me keeping 55-60mph down the trail hauling the mail. Had to stop twice to chip away the snow build up on leaf springs & between the wheel & body. Hitting a few ups & downs & suspension was bottoming out to soon.

No cell service or map to tell me where this trail went under the tracks. I took it anyway for 45 miles. Until I saw a town of Sanderson, Tx

Pulling onto the road in Sanderson, Tx

- - - Updated - - -

My Dog checking over the Jeep before Day 3

Heading out towards to trail head

Had to pull onto the Hwy so you could see the terrian of the dirt road for the next 150 miles

Taking this dirt road at 65mph you get some crazy jump & fun fast twists around trees. With ever so often fast stops or turns onto the hwy because of a rock creek or ditch with trees.

Had to turn around & shot a photo of this jump & step up. I took at about 50mph....

Then this little body of water was the end of this dirt road. But, what an end & awesome view. That road cutting under the bridge was the dirt road. PECOS RIVER

Last edited by Dezurfer; 01-09-2013 at 11:16 AM.

2. Thanks PondSkum thanked for this post
    Likes PondSkum liked this post
    TheWife05x is offline Chapter Run Coordinator Bryan/College Station Chapter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like one hell of a fun trip. Beautiful pictures.
    Saturdays I cook, bake, keep a clean house and take care of the kid but on Sunday I wheel.

RubiconAg is offline Chapter Vice President Bryan/College Station Chapter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a really fun trip. Thanks for sharing and welcome to Texas and TX4WD!

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezurfer View Post
    So, I just moved to Houston (Spring) today & will be looking for some wheeling buddies to take some trips towards Austin & other crawling areas. BTW-Any real fab guys or off road racers around here? Hoping to start building another race truck & keep racing SCORE races & maybe start racing the Texas Desert Racing races.
    Wow that looks like one heck of a trip!!!

Dave G. on here has raced Ultra4 King of the Hammers and Baja Racing of Texas. He is co-owner of BRAVE Motorsports here in Houston. His latest personal build is located here (http://www.tx4wd.org/showthread.php?720-Rachael) but customer work is his priority.

6. Likes PondSkum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Pecos river bridge is awsome. Its been at least 15 years since I was out that way thank for bringing back a great memory to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an awesome trip. I've never been that direction via a car/truck/baja.. only flown over all that beautiful land in an airplane... Thanks for sharing!
    2001 TJ - PondSkum
    Build in progress....

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn." ~ George Santayana

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Pictures and a heck of a trip for a YJ!

RubiconAg is offline Chapter Vice President Bryan/College Station Chapter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: My trip from San Diego to Houston, Tx over 600 miles offroad

I just realized that 'dirt road' along hwy 90 is probably border patrol's path they maintain and drag each day so the can check it for footprints.

Did you see any border patrol out there?

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep one group & I stopped to talk with them. They checked out my rig & loved the trip I was taking. Then back to 60mph hauling mail towards Del Rio on the trail.

The road is on both sides & is over 200 miles long. The same style is on the S.E. side of Del Rio running up side roads, farmland & hunting property. I'm more leaning towards it is used for hunters to get from one property to another in UTV's, quads or Jeeps.
    I like Food, Dreams & Whispers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn man that looks awesome as hell, I want to do that. We are thinking about doing a similar trip from here to Canyon De Chelley in AZ. Mostly dirt roads and the occasional blacktop. We are still in the planning stage, but hopefully by spring break we will be able to take off and go.
    Driver: 06 TJ X. 31/10.50x15s Black Steelies, Rear tire carrier, 2.5" RC lift, winch.