Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does it take to be a Trail Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation What does it take to be a Trail Guide

Trail guide is some one with extensive knowledge of said park and knows it like the back of their hand, or is some what familiar with said park and has extensive 4wd knowledge to get wheelers out of any situation that may arise, is what i believe they are referring to. How can you be a trail guide if you are not familiar with the park or the trails? The trail rating system in TX isn't all that great what would be a level 10 for CJ might be a level 3 for a JK. It is very easy to get lost in a park if you are not familiar with it, especially with out a map.

05X4X4 is offline Chapter Safety Officer Bryan/College Station Chapter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is time for Nominations for Chapter Officers

I think to be a trial guide you would need to know the trails that your taking a group on, and better than just being on them every now and then. so you know better how to get everyone back home safe.

EX: just because your a trail guide in B/CS doesn't mean you can guide a group in Moab.

Having said all that I think every chapter should have guides for the local parks.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SGT. K View Post
    Trail guide is some one with extensive knowledge of said park and knows it like the back of their hand, or is some what familiar with said park and has extensive 4wd knowledge to get wheelers out of any situation that may arise, is what i believe they are referring to. How can you be a trail guide if you are not familiar with the park or the trails? The trail rating system in TX isn't all that great what would be a level 10 for CJ might be a level 3 for a JK. It is very easy to get lost in a park if you are not familiar with it, especially with out a map.
    I know what your saying. I think there are a lot of us that have wheeled BVORR to know where to go. But you have a point with the JK/CJ aspect. So are we suggesting a trail guide seat for just the local areas of the chapter?

Sent from my IPhone 5
    Because I'm AWESOME!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think trail guide should be based on parks instead of chapters.
    EX a trail guide at Bvorr who knows General Sams like the back of their hand could hold the title of trail guide there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each chapter can appoint their own trail guide or guides. It is better to have a trail guide appointed to someone who knows of that particular park. A run co-ordinator should be appointed for those out of town trips where no one is familiar with those trails, or has been there before but has no extensive knowledge of the park and trail system. That person should be an expert in wheeling with a variety of 4wd vehicles as well as being a expert in off road recovery and repair and spotting ability on the trails and should also be cpr certified along with basic ems or combat corpsman knowledge or basic first aid. I think we are getting off topic in the bcs forum at this point. If you want to start a thread under the general discussion I am good to go with that. I dont want to get off topic on another chapters discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with having it be someone with extensive knowledge of 4wheeling, but they also need to have knowledge of the trail system they are on too, anyone ca read a book and by definition be a 'expert' driver, but that's not going to eat a group through the woods alive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the best way to be a trail guide is be the best informed in the group, the trails, rigs you have with you, skill level of all drivers in your group, be able to make quick decisions. Drive at a moderate pace and steady, if your the trail leader you had BETTER know you have prepped your rig and be able to help.

I personally hate stopping every 5 minutes - my style is to keep the whole group moving steady, allow time for picture taking on obstacles but be ready to go.

a few years ago I was a trail leader for Superlift @ BMRA - i ran the same 6 trails - 5 times that weekend, I did save some people from SERIOUS damage to themselves and thier rigs by keeping informed, advoiding bunchups and keeping it movin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What does it take to be a Trail Guide

What's up with all the hate for CJs

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does it take to be a Trail Guide

Because CJ's and Buggy's out do the jks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does it take to be a Trail Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 05X4X4 View Post
    I think to be a trial guide you would need to know the trails that your taking a group on, and better than just being on them every now and then. so you know better how to get everyone back home safe.

EX: just because your a trail guide in B/CS doesn't mean you can guide a group in Moab.

Having said all that I think every chapter should have guides for the local parks.

Good point!