User Tag List

Thread: Alright Guys I Need Some Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright Guys I Need Some Help

So it's an odd issue I'd say... Yesterday evening i was driving around in the pasture behind the house and i was getting on her a bit just to spin the rear tires and all of a sudden no more go. The power to the rear wheels up and went away . She works in 4 high and 4 low but it only engages the front dif the rear is just along for the ride... I've eliminated the idea that it's the rear dif, it is not the drive shaft so it has come down to either the t-case or transmission which saddens me greatly but i don't have any idea what it actually might be... I've been having problems with my tranny recently but only with a little stubbornness in not wanting to go into gear without a little bit of grinding... I have a feeling this is going to be a pricey fix but what can a guy do. Any help would be great but please no speculation or guessing as to what the problem is, obviously this is a forum and answers aren't apparent a lot of the time but if you have had the problem before or you are certain of what may have caused it let me know what you think.

Appreciate it guys!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it works in 4wd then its not usually your trans or tcase. Look at your slip yoke an see if you have spun the splines ive had that happen before.
    Last edited by dpelley; 03-05-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was tranny it shouldn't work in 4wd either. My vote is on tcase. Possibly even a shifter issue. Could be the rail inside is bent and not fully going into 2wd which would keep the output shaft from engaging.

edit: I reread more carefully this time. Drop the tcase and be sure all the guts are good. And as was said, the slipyoke could be the issue as well. What tcase do you have?
    1980 cj5, full metal cloak, 4.0, 4:1 d300, 33" tsl, widetracks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you do anything, How did you rule out the rear diff? You can not possibly rule it out without opening it up and inspection first. It is the easiest to do so do it. First inspect the driveshaft for any abnormalities, then pull your diff cover. What type of vehicle are we talking about? model, year? the 2004 you have listed? If yes, do the above. If the chain broke in your Tcase it will not go into 4wd. It would have to be the output shaft or something else. What kind of Trans problems did you think you had and why do you think it was the trans?

5. Likes PondSkum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys simple miss step in my diagnosis, i drove it around a bit and realized it was my rear diff... i opened her up and it had essentially exploded in there

7. Likes PondSkum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured you would find no teeth or a torn pinion shaft from your description above. No is a good time to think about gears and lockers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking an 8.8 is in my near future

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics or it didn't happen.