User Tag List

Thread: RIPP Installed in my 08 Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIPP Installed in my 08 Rubicon

My brother Jack and I just put a RIPP supercharger and intercooler in my 08 Rubicon Unlimited. 35” tires & 5:13 gears.
    http://www.rippmods.com/
    Installation video:

Now … Instead of it taking 6 hours it took us about 3 days of busted knuckles to get it installed, but we had a good time doing it.

After all of the mechanical part was finished, and a feaux pas by me on loading the RIPP tune I must say that it added a substantial amount of horsepower. According to RIPP and Ian on Extreme 4x4 about 230 t0 240 HP with around an equal number in torque should be at my rear wheels now. I will get a dyno soon to confirm.

The up side, it feels as fast as my 4.7 liter Dodge when I take off and when I hit passing gear … hauls ass, I like it.

I still however have an issue that I don’t like, ... this is my perspective:
    The automatic transmission in the Jeep is geared very far apart, every time it shifts down or up the engine either gains or losses 1000 to 1200 rpm.
    So
    When I am cruising on the highway at say 1500 to 1800 rpm, outside of my power band, even with the supercharger, and I give it the gas to speed up there is (same as before) virtually no response to the throttle, I have to really punch it to get it to down shift, then the power really kicks in. I am very happy with the supercharger but still unhappy with the Jeep performance while highway driving.

It feels to me like a transmission issue, my truck downshifts very easily (much more sensitive than the Jeep) and does not kick the RPMs up by 1000+ therefore feels seamless.

To that end I think I am going to try a sprint booster selectable power converter to improve my throttle response, I will let you all know if it helps. One of the offroad magazines article said it made a significant difference in throttle response and transmission shifting. We will see soon.

If you have any experience solving this throttle response issue I would appreciate a post.
    Jim Garner
    2008 JK Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim, do you think there can be anything done with the shift points that might help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be Josh, the shift points were changed with the tune they sent me, the passing gears are easier to engage. I did receive the accelerator chip, not installed yet. If I can figure out what I need to do to mess with the tune myself I might try some different settings.
    Jim Garner
    2008 JK Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got some ideas when it comes to the settings that I found with the superchip that helped a lot, yours should be similiar pm me tommorow and maybe we can get together this weekend and get it figured out!