Thread: XJ upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XJ upgrades

Looking to upgrade the Cherokee.

First off is the steering links. I read that the ZJ (Grand Cherokee) steering links are a direct bolt in and much beefier. Anyone have a line on some parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed a LockRight in the front Dana 30...

Opened up the front diff.

Pulled the carrier.

New locker....

- - - Updated - - -

Removed side gears...

Locker in place.

Took it up to Hidden Falls two days later and it performed well....hardly spun a tire all weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Cobra 25 LTD Classic installed so it beats the crap out of the passengers knees....had this radio peaked and tuned and talk back conversion recently. 4' Firestick antenna on a spring...

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday I installed the master/slave clutch set up. Working great! Also installed the 4" Daystar polyurethane rear bump stops. Today I mounted my Hi-lift up on the roof rack and bought a Hi lift handle isolator. Pretty cool install. I will put up some pics tomorrow.

indirocz28 is offline B/CS Chapter Trail Guide Bryan/College Station Chapter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you're on your way!

Do a short arm 6" kit, SYE, and 33s. Along with sway bar disconnects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
    Well, you're on your way!

Do a short arm 6" kit, SYE, and 33s. Along with sway bar disconnects.
    Has the RE lift.....I think 3 1/2", and I am pretty happy with the 31's. Trying to keep from doing a gear change. SYE will come later and what is a sway bar?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Jeff....what year model ZJ steering links do I need to be looking for at a junk yard?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the Hi lift mounted...

The only stickers on my rig at the moment....

I'm thinking these new extended bumpstops will need a spacer underneath them. Looks like the shocks will be collapsed before the axle gets on the bumpstop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my Cherokee on it's first trip out since I bought it. BTW.....it was purchased entirely with money I made doing art work over the last 3 years. I sold 120 ounces of silver bullion and got this rig. I do art for precious metals.

indirocz28 is offline B/CS Chapter Trail Guide Bryan/College Station Chapter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a sweet XJ.

Reminds me of my first one. It was a white 1998.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changed oil and filter yesterday. Bought a NAPA platinum filter....I read it is a much better element than the paper crap. The Cherokees are notorious for showing low oil pressure at idle. It seems to have picked up a few PSI with the new filter.

Plans :

May do some type of hood vents. I saw a cool write up of a guy that modified a junk yard hood into a cowl type.....looks really cool. again....Cherokees run on the warm side, especially when crawling along on the trail. I have already installed a new radiator, cap, thermostat, hoses, and fan clutch. The fan clutch is what made the most improvement in cooling.

Get rid of the Lincoln locker in the rear axle. I don't want to have to change the carrier and do a gear set up. Mark Claus recommended a posi but, that would require a gear set up. I will probably just install a lockright in the rear. Already installed in the front. I have had good luck with the lockrights.

Rear spring shackle changes. From what I have read....the rear shackle should be at 40-45 degrees angle for the spring to work correctly. They make an adjustable shackle mount that is a pretty common upgrade.

I ordered a new inner shifter boot and it should be here this weekend. With the inner boot missing or torn, the center console gets very hot when driving with the windows down. As long as the windows are up and AC is on, cab pressure keeps the heat pushed out. I am installing new boots this weekend.

Tachometer. The factory tach is dead....not sure why. I will probably install an aftermarket small tach. Pretty sure it picks up a signal from say....an injector?

Skid plates. I am not going to get bigger than the 31's....time to build some skids.
    Last edited by Blue Angel; 09-06-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The xj is looking good!, the tach should have a connection on the coil
    Live to ride, Ride to live ,That's how I roll

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookin good Jim! Thinking about building my little XJ up some more.