User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XJ upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New shackle relocation brackets. Greatly improved ride and articulation.

- - - Updated - - -

New ORFAB rear bumper.

Last edited by Blue Angel; 07-07-2014 at 10:40 PM.

2. Likes Mudhog1977 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the rig to Garb's recently and had a complete new exhaust system installed. New cat, Flowmaster, new downpipe. I have done business with them for years and the quality of their work can't be beat. Located here in Baytown.

4. Likes Mudhog1977 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last trip out at Hidden Falls we did a night run and right when I got back into town, my lights went off and came back on a couple times. Did some research and found that a common flaw on XJ's is all the lighting voltage actually goes through the switch on the dash. There is a circuit breaker built into the switch and is a common failure.

The fix is to install a couple relays for hi/lo beams and wire the lights direct to the battery. The switch on the dash then operates the relays to provide power. I ordered the Putco 100W kit off Amazon. It comes with relays, a harness all lugged up and plug in fittings. Just run the harness right next to the factory stuff, mount the relays, hook to the battery and plug in. I also picked up a couple extra relays and a fuse holder to protect the wiring. The XJ crowd says the lights are brighter as well. Should do the install in a week or so.

6. Likes Mudhog1977 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
    Last trip out at Hidden Falls we did a night run and right when I got back into town, my lights went off and came back on a couple times. Did some research and found that a common flaw on XJ's is all the lighting voltage actually goes through the switch on the dash. There is a circuit breaker built into the switch and is a common failure.

The fix is to install a couple relays for hi/lo beams and wire the lights direct to the battery. The switch on the dash then operates the relays to provide power. I ordered the Putco 100W kit off Amazon. It comes with relays, a harness all lugged up and plug in fittings. Just run the harness right next to the factory t stuff, mount the relays, hook to the battery and plug in. I also picked up a couple extra relays and a fuse holder to protect the wiring. The XJ crowd says the lights are brighter as well. Should do the install in a week or so.

]
    I did this on my XJ a few months ago. The lights were noticeably brighter. If you originally had fog lights, you'll have to pull the relay to the fogs for the high beams to work right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
    I did this on my XJ a few months ago. The lights were noticeably brighter. If you originally had fog lights, you'll have to pull the relay to the fogs for the high beams to work right.
    Thanks for the input! Yeah, I have heard they are much brighter. I picked up a few extra relays to carry in case one fails. I had read that the ones that come with the Putco kit are pretty cheaply made and have been known to fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the light harness upgrade. Took about one hour and the lights are much brighter.

10. Likes PondSkum liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steering upgrade. ZJ tie rod is much beefier and a direct bolt in on the XJ.

Much beefier TRE.....

Ready to wheel. Had to adjust toe in just a little.

12. Likes PondSkum liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What shackle relocation kit did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
    What shackle relocation kit did you use?

HD Offroad Engineering.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I order a lot of parts off of Rockauto.com and I have a 5% discount code to add to their already pretty cheap prices. Anyone wants to use it, let me know....

15. Likes PondSkum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ordered a few things from rock auto, they have a good price on hard to find parts
    Live to ride, Ride to live ,That's how I roll