User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Replacement CB radio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coax length has nothing to do with how well your radio will receive(rx) or transmit(tx) unless it is like 1000' and then you might loose a little. It will also not bring your SWR's down if they are too high. You should use just enough coax to make it from your radio to antenna or buy a prefab length close to what you need. The 17' or 18' lengths are just myths. The people behind these myths is BIG CB!. It is in the best interest of all companies involved in coax whether they are making it or selling it to tell you what lengths you should use, of course they are going to say you need 18' when on the average a usual cb install is 10'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of amp, I would love to get my hands on a brimstone amp, but the FCC caught him and shut him down, but the exterra might need a lil more tha 18 ft of coax, that's how much my b2 takes,
    Live to ride, Ride to live ,That's how I roll

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever seen a "sweet 16" those things are HUGE!
    Last edited by Mudhog1977; 10-04-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't seen a sweet 16 in person. I know you don't want to be anywhere near the antenna when you key the mic, it can hurt you! They also need fans, big alt, and batt. Check out the amps this guy had for sale at the Belton Texas "HamFest" this weekend. The amp on top turned sideways was a 1k watt Texas Star beast. The bottom texas stars where a 500 and 667, all of them where reasonably priced. There were a bunch of other amps I never heard of and cheap. I hope to run across this guy at the next swap meet.10-5-13.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen one, dual fans, looks like 4awg power leads, I wouldn't mind checking out a swap meet one day, I used to have a 225 Texas star but someone wanted more than me, I had it mated to a Midland that swung 17w , that was a bad a. Cb back in the day lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I remember just starting to drive as a teenager and a cb was standard equipment on any vehicle as with all of my friends. These were the days before cell phones and the only way to find the kegger was through cb. I guess some of just cant drop old habits!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all had cb's, but I didn't start getting big cb's until I got into trucking, as far as the keggar, we had a spot back in the dear lease that a friend's family owned and we would just build a fire and hang out there all night, noone ever bothered us and we never got in trouble, if the law caught us they would take our beer and send us home, but they only bothered us a couple times and it was usually a new cop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing about CB's these days is that it is pretty much the last free-zone to communicate and not have to worry about the government listening to your conversations and knowing exactly where you are at. Ham radio is about the same but when you start using repeaters the government probably eavesdrops on them as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Replacement CB radio

When cell phones started to make way me and my broke friends used them to chat. It was cheaper to buy a setup than to pay a monthly bill and we lived close enough that we could talk with a cheap cobra cb without issues

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudReport View Post
    The best thing about CB's these days is that it is pretty much the last free-zone to communicate and not have to worry about the government listening to your conversations and knowing exactly where you are at. Ham radio is about the same but when you start using repeaters the government probably eavesdrops on them as well.
    I think the only thing that could pin point you with as a ham oper would be your call sign, as far as a non licensed operator they can listen all they want but only get close, so unless they are sitting right next to you watching they really can't prove you said anything, really hard to pinpoint the exact location on a mobile, but I agree completely with your comment