User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you pay for a "built" HP30?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you pay for a "built" HP30?

The 44 not much better than a 30? A Dana 60 with 35" tires would have the ground (diff) clearance of a stock d35 with 30" tires. D44's have their place in our type of wheeling and when built correctly have major benefits over a 30/35 (larger RP/ housing/tubes/gear option) without the ground/gas tank/track bar/ tub clearance issues of a 60. All depends on what your end goal is and how hard you wheel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpoLj View Post
    The 44 not much better than a 30? A Dana 60 with 35" tires would have the ground (diff) clearance of a stock d35 with 30" tires. D44's have their place in our type of wheeling and when built correctly have major benefits over a 30/35 (larger RP/ housing/tubes/gear option) without the ground/gas tank/track bar/ tub clearance issues of a 60. All depends on what your end goal is and how hard you wheel
    Your right about clearance if you don't shave the diff,but the 44 uses the same ujoints as the 30 which will fail. but your right if you don't wheel hard you will not be having problems. I have broke Dana 44 axles stubs unloading off the trailer before,I have also broke dana60 chromoly axles. clearance problems can all be over come but blocking the trail with your broken junk is a inconvenience for you and everyone in your group. I would rather be prepared.
    Last edited by texasfrog; 01-31-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Just because someone goes fast doesn't mean you should do whatever you think they did.
    This path assumes they knew what they were doing, which isn't necessarily the case. Take this path and you will be guaranteed second place."

Originally Posted by PondSkum
    I'm just a floater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more than a little off what the OP's original question was. Apologies to the OP.

Cavasar, am I reading the info on that hp30 right? One chromoly shaft?

Texasfrog, I am not arguing the undisputed strength of a one-ton axle. You seem to be taking this rather personal. If I am correct the OP is a local TAMU student and both built 44 and 60 are well out of range.

In response to "your broken junk", I've wheeled around the country and have yet to block a trail? I have been blocked by two extremely built power wagons on 60's who both had snapped shafts. We went around, in our "junk".
    Last edited by ExpoLj; 02-01-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpoLj View Post
    more than a little off what the OP's original question was. Apologies to the OP.

Cavasar, am I reading the info on that hp30 right? One chromoly shaft?

Texasfrog, I am not arguing the undisputed strength of a one-ton axle. You seem to be taking this rather personal. If I am correct the OP is a local TAMU student and both built 44 and 60 are well out of range.

In response to "your broken junk", I've wheeled around the country and have yet to block a trail? I have been blocked by two extremely built power wagons on 60's who both had snapped shafts. We went around, in our "junk".
    You can tip toe around trail with a stock jeep too but you still can not convince me that a Dana 44 that comes with the same size axles as a dana 30 is better. I for one am not going to give advice to people thinking it's an upgrade. but that being said the jk's 44's have some advantage over the old 44's and 30's that they can run a 1.5" 35 spline inners and 33 spline outers. even the rock bouncers that you drove around with the 44" tires and stock 30 spline outers would be envious of...
    Last edited by texasfrog; 02-01-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    "Just because someone goes fast doesn't mean you should do whatever you think they did.
    This path assumes they knew what they were doing, which isn't necessarily the case. Take this path and you will be guaranteed second place."

I'm just a floater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

I'm just a floater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by texasfrog View Post
    image.jpg
    Your right about clearance if you don't shave the diff,but the 44 uses the same ujoints as the 30 which will fail. but your right if you don't wheel hard you will not be having problems. I have broke Dana 44 axles stubs unloading off the trailer before,I have also broke dana60 chromoly axles. clearance problems can all be over come but blocking the trail with your broken junk is a inconvenience for you and everyone in your group. I would rather be prepared.
    If you're breaking shafts unloading from a trailer then you may be doing it wrong lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin.K View Post
    If you're breaking shafts unloading from a trailer then you may be doing it wrong lol
    I know,right! I'm pretty sure it was it was doomed the last time out.

I'm just a floater.

indirocz28 is offline B/CS Chapter Trail Guide Bryan/College Station Chapter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go get it Steven!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cavasar,
    I wouldn't pay more than $500 for that axle and the steering components.

Yes, it is a high pinion 30 and the ring and pinion will hold up to more than a low pinion 30, but its at least 15yrs and you can't recoup basic maintenance costs (seals, bearings, balljoints). The fact that the seals and bearings were replaced after the re-gear is a red flag for me, and I would be very suspicious of the quality of work done on the axle. Other things to consider, is this your daily driver, and if it is do you want a Heim based steering set up on your daily driver; TJ pitman arms don't have a lot of meat on them and someone has drilled this one out, a new replacement is about $50 (I would buy an SJ drop pitman arm, same drop as a stock TJ or XJ but significantly beefier). And a final note, junk yard pricing: Dana 30s runs about a $100, Dana 44s $2-300, and Dana 60s are $250-1,000; personally my Dana 44 cost me $250 and I paid $550 for a pair of front Dana 60s.

Please remember everyone in this thread has their own preferences, experiences, and unique driving style.
    Justin
    TMTC Representative
    88 XJ - Dana 44s and jack stands