Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Rubicon Build Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnerBB View Post
    Keep it out of the MUD. Run out to Brazos Valley Off Road with the Brian/College chapter and let then show you the difference between offroading which won't destroy your Jeep and mudding which will. They usually have a Beginners group which is mostly stock rigs and they will be patient with you. Have fun!
    Bonner, I gotta disagree with you, there, on a slight technicality. While mud is dangerous to gears and bearings because of water damage and gritty dirt, it doesn't mean other forms of offroading are safe for your vehicle. Offroading is inherently dangerous in all forms. Sand can ruin bearings and engines if inhaled, ice is a slip hazard, snow is dangerous if inhaled by the motor or axles, rocks and hillclimbs put drivetrains in a bind, and even designated trails pose a risk of body damage with trees, shrubs, and boulders, and even marking signs. All of these forms of offroading put extreme stress on any vehicle, outside of the average conumer's normal intent, and this alone also poses risk of overheating.

In short, all forms are dangerous but it's up to the driver/owner to maneuver and maintain their vehicle before, during, and after every excursion to be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 years of wheeling at BVORR and I broke one axel shaft. ONE mudding trip cost me an alternator and a starter and eventually the pully on my water pump. I never said anything about levels of danger. He has a 2014 Rubicon, doubt he will have an overheating problem unless he fills the vanes of his radiator with mud which will happen. MUD is BAD!
    Last edited by BonnerBB; 05-31-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Rubicon is more than capable stock, you could go most places at BVORR, AND come out and wheel with us, we'll take the time to teach you how to have fun and be safe

Is yours a 2 or 4 door because that will make a difference when deciding on a lift, and 4 doors need a little more than 2 doors due to length
    Last edited by EastTxRedneck; 05-31-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmprov, your most budget-friendly and wisest upgrade will first be ofyourself. Go out and wheel your rig how it is and learn what you like, don't like, what you can handle and what you're not comfortable with, and what your rig can do as it sits right now.

Also if you haven't already, check out YouTube for all the different types of wheeling like beach, desert, trail, forest, mud, snow, rocks, hills, fields, all of it. You may like one park then find something you love at another.

Finally, another bit of research to do is the realistic approach. Folks who actually require utility and purpose in their off-road vehicles and what they expect and need from them. A hunter in Alaska will need a totally different rig from an oilfield tech, and a Texas rancher, and they would be different from an Argentinian farmer, and a New Zealand fire road rescue worker. After you've gone wheeling, pick bits from those rigs and add em to yours.

My suburban is being built as an off-road people hauler/recovery vehicle/mobile command and rescue vehicle, so I have a soft ride, strong sidewalled tires to carry weight, lots of recovery gear, and I'm saving up for radio and even more recovery equipment. It's a thirsty and heavily built rig, but I roll slow, and move weight so I chose a big block with well rounded gears for road and trail.

Someone who likes desert running will be lower to the ground, fuel efficient, and have gear to keep cool, whereas a rancher will probably care more about cargo space and durability. I could go on and on. The gist is to see what you like and then need, and then pick your parts and prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, I'm willing to help with bolt-on items like rock rails and bumpers. Don't spend money on installation for those. Also, in about 3 weeks I will be selling my Old MAn Emu springs and shocks. Have about 10k miles on them and are coming off my 14 Rubi unlimited. It will give you 2" of lift and make a set of 33's look good.