Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rubicon Build Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Rubicon Build Help

I recently purchased a 2014 JK Rubicon and want to start adding to it. My first phase budget is $1000 max and I know I want to add Nerf bars. I don't have tools or a place to work on it myself because I recently moved to Houston so I would have to pay installation as well. A new bumper with a winch etc would be great but I don't want to take a cheap route just for affordability. I was thinking of adding a KC light bar to the front bumper for now. What do y'all suggest I do with my initial budget (probably around 700+ after nerf bars)? All suggestions/tips are appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your end goal? I don't want to suggest something that won't help down the road.

Just a beach cruiser, mud truck, rock crawler?

Do you want to build it to be tough and capable or look cool? Either way is awesome, but there tends to be a big difference in price

My idea of a new body modification is a big ol dent and a great story to go with it I may not be able to help you in that respect

I would nix the nerf bars though, doesn't the Rubicon already have slider bars? You won't want to take those off, you will lose a good bit of armor in a crucial place.

Give us an end goal, it will help us make suggestions if we know what you want to do with it

Welcome to wheeling! Hope to see you on the trails!
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any slider bars. This is my everyday jeep, so I want it to be capable for the trails etc, but not over the top for what I commute in (if it were a second car it would be another story!). The end result would be to replace the bumper, lift it probably 2" or 2.5", a slight increase in tire size, add lights, and possibly a winch. Im looking to mostly make it more off road capable than it is with stock parts, but nothing too extreme, at least for a good while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Rubicon Build Help

If I may... It sounds like you're relatively new to the sport. Take it from someone with just a year under his belt... Your new Rubicon is most likely more capable than the driver and will perform fine for what you most likely will throw at it. Come join us out on the trails. The group will guide you and teach you. As you hit a few trails, you will get a more specific feel for what you want to do - THEN build to that goal. Simply stating "trail capable" is a bit vague. Ie: are these dirt trails, mud, off camber, rocky, etc... Or will crawling, mudding or overland strike a fancy? Take it from one of the newest to the sport... This approach will save you a few bucks and ensure you build what you NEED.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great point and sounds like the most financially responsible one! That being said, would I be able to keep up in the off road parks near Houston before making any changes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Rubicon Build Help

Quote Originally Posted by Mmprov08 View Post
    would I be able to keep up in the off road parks near Houston before making any changes?
    Definitely. Just go with an organized group. I may suggest heading out to Bryan/College Station chapter for one of their Sunday meetings/runs at BVORR. Indeed... I'm planning on heading out there June 29... You're welcome to join me. The group out there is awesome and will break out the group into beginner, moderate and advanced groups. Also, keep an eye out from our (TC) chapter... We are in the midst of planning a Wheeling 101 class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dro-ster (JPClark); 05-29-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would watch the fb pages , there are a few of them that people sell used parts, nothing really wrong with them, but they just upgrade, you can build a rig for a fraction of the cost just buying take offs
    Live to ride, Ride to live ,That's how I roll

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome advice from these guys. Keep in mind that when you do things like a lift and/or bigger tires....it always leads to more necessary upgrades. You have to add in longer shocks, longer brake lines and eventually a gear change to make up for power loss.

You are definitely in with the right group to learn about these things.

9. Likes Mudhog1977 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it out of the MUD. Run out to Brazos Valley Off Road with the Brian/College chapter and let then show you the difference between offroading which won't destroy your Jeep and mudding which will. They usually have a Beginners group which is mostly stock rigs and they will be patient with you. Have fun!
    Last edited by BonnerBB; 05-30-2014 at 08:16 AM.

05X4X4 is offline Chapter Safety Officer Bryan/College Station Chapter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Rubicon Build Help

As said before your stock rig is much more capable than you probably think, and will not take much to become a very capable and dependable trail rig and daily driver. Having said all that I would suggest you come out to one of our BCS chapter meeting and learn more about your rig before you start throwing parts at it that you think you need at this time.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk