Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ham Radios and TX4WD.ORG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ham Radios and TX4WD.ORG

Howdy Folks, Josh here from Katy Chapter.

Some of you know that several Katy peeps are taking the CERT training. This week, we met Joey Clements, Logistics Supervisor for Harris County, and as an independent Jeeper, he asked us all to get our ham license. After I talked with him yesterday, He extended an offer to give us a Ham Basics demo and a tour of Transtar to learn more about the county's emergency communications. He is really interested in having us as a resource with specialized skills that they are willing to help develop from their perspective and to be compatible with the local govt work processes.

So, without rambling, Does anyone want to join us? We haven't set the date yet, but I'm shooting for a late June or July date once he confirms his blackout dates.

Now the rambling. We want to get hooked up with Ham radios in the Katy chapter to possibly supplement/replace CBs on our runs, and for emergencies that are CERT or Search and Rescue (our next training). If you are licensed for Ham, shout out and let us know what you got and if you would be willing to help us get more members licensed. If you want to learn more, shout out.

Some quick facts:
    1. There is free info online like the exam question pool to help study:http://www.arrl.org/question-pools .... And here is a Practice test:http://aa9pw.com/
    2. The typical exam is $15 bucks and proctored by volunteers. The money is for reimbursement and postage.
    3. There are 3 levels of license, most should try for the first two that can be taken at the same time for the price of one, supposedly.
    4. We could even get some tx4wd peeps to become VEs (i'm willing), then we can to our own exams... I think.
    5. The license lasts 10 years and it is free. If you want a vanity call sign, that is like $15 extra though.
    6. Joey suggested we look at the Austin Ametuer aaradio.com or Houston Ametuer Radio on 45 or other local supplier. Here is the link to the one he suggested as a good starter with better range than CB and compatability with repeaters so we could potentially comm with entire county: http://www.aaradio.com/cartfile/TYT/TYT.html The one for $89.95. I have found this model on the net for as low as $70 with free shipping.

Update:
    Here are links to the presentations I Found.

The link to the site:
    http://www.k3dio.com/

This is for the Technician License, 28mb download:
    http://www.rtsi.com/~HRInstructor/Te...414)=(700).zip

This is for the General License. 43mb download:
    http://www.rtsi.com/~HRInstructor/Ge...&Q&A_(769).zip

Here is my optimized Q&A file that only shows answers for the technician:
    ham-technician-questions.pdf

Here is my optimized Q&A file that only shows answers for the general:
    ham-general-questions.pdf

I have added a radio equipment review for a $48 ham radio that can also be used as a scanner or communicate with the FRS radios over in the community services forum.
    Last edited by TacoTank; 07-29-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: more links

2. Thanks JTM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Taco! Thats what Im Talking about!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will see if we can can get a discount at work if we can get these radios.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interests in every aspect... One that would hinder me is I work evenings. I also have my master divers cert for search and rescue if an option!
    The Original Gremlin... "You might not always see me but you'll always know I'm AROUND!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once we get a knowledge base, then time is on our side to relay you any ham info you miss. If it is the Transtar Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (OEM) tour you might miss, I'm sure we can either accomodate your schedule or organize a second group for a tour. Joey is like "Come on down".

I think we will soon need a Topic section for threads related to communication, CERT and Emergency where we can get roll call, info, shoutouts etc for cert members, divers, etc. till we get that, we can do 2 things.
    1. Register at http://www.harriscountycitizencorps.com/
    2. Everyone start putting Emergency capabilities on their profile, like Cert, Diving, Search&Rescue, Generator, Chain saw, Ham Radio equip/license

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taco your in charge of this thread from here on out, let the moderators know what you need. We will come up with an official title for you. INCERT TACO HERE or something like that. LOL I will get with the leadership and make you incedent command coordinator if your up for the task.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "incedent command coordinator" ....That doesn't mean I have to organize everyones shady content, does it? ...... "Geez Honey, how many times do I have to tell you, thats Agitator's, not mine! You know how i feel about kazoo's, and remember the chinese buffet where I had the allergic reaction to tapioca?"

Otherwise, I'm game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agitator just left my house and he is spoken for he is my fill in the blank! Bring on the chinese buffet! What is kazoo's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that sounds neat let me know when you take the ham radio exam i have always wanted to get a ham radio license
    Last edited by Kabob; 05-20-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basselete View Post
    that sounds neat let me know when you take the ham radio exam i have always wanted to get a ham radio license

cough NERD cough