User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: home zombie defense - teach me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did everyone get yesterday off to help me out? lol.

cadio: what??

pistols: yes every gun is a risk. i know my gun safety. but really short (less than 24" over all) just make me nervous. biggest thing for a personal protection/ have fun gun for me is comfort. if i'm not using it all the time for practice and comfortable with it i won't use it when it's needed. i'm going to go to the range with a buddy who just got a 1911. he's gunna let me try it out. pistol lovers don't get your hopes up.

AR-15: holy crap there is a lot of options with these. i'm thinking surplus ammo, red dot site, 16" barrel, chrome lined, m4 stock. beyond that i',m still in the dark.

22's: i used to practice with these when i was younger. they were so boring i quit shooting all together except for clays. i want to avoid 22's, even though they are the most cost-effective practice gun that i know of. plus i want to practice with the gun i'm most likely to pickup in a home defense scenario.

real use: backup home defense (primary is my 12 gauge pump). shooting cans at 50-200 yards on private property for fun. we are in a brick house with just me and my SO. any shot from just about anywhere in the house will get through to the outside (ref: box of truth). firing a weapon in there is a huge risk. i really want something visually imposing so hopefully i don't have to use it. my house is small. any disagreement in there would be close quarters.

calliber: .223/5.56 vs 7.63x39 discuss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay first off. If your talking about close quarters and a 12 ga, your on the wrong path. Most home invasion go like this: Your asleep. If you are lucky enough to wake up before they get to your room they are close. If I was going to invade a home the first thing I would do is head to the master and take out my threat. If your talking caliber and not shot your on the wrong path. Home defense is a strategy not an I want this gun or that gun. Your house is dark at night so looks do not matter. Try maneuvering a 12ga through your house with sleepy in your eyes and still groggy from being awakened. Caliber is to snipe the zombies at a distant. Also you want to think of more things than just just fire back. Surviving a home invasion in a worst case scenario is about safe escape. Not Kill count. I have several items of defense in several areas of the house. ALL are handguns. They are easy to maneuver and quick to ready. My first line is a Taurus Judge. I love this gun and it also my traveler. It take 3" .410 and in the house I load it with 3 rounds of 6 shot and 2 of 000. It will not penetrate more than 2 sheets of Sheetrock which means my daughter is safe from my have awake firing. It spreads good so as long as I aim towards the door I have a very good chance of hitting Eye Ball. Fast pulls as I move to my cover spot were I have .40 with a strobe light. If I did not hit eyeball, I will now. Window is behind me, wife is clear, She will have her .40 and will head around the outside to get my daughter. Oh and if you do not think a .410 will kill, I have seen it kill. Lots of little holes to plug up.

Now when I travel my Judge is loaded like this. 2 rounds of .410 6 shot. 2 rounds of .410 000. and the last round is a .45 If the first two do not blind them or scare them away, the third and fourth will put 6 .45 caliber slugs in them. If they decide to get up after that, the .45 should help change their mind.

Oh, and breath, move and practice. Close quarters is always about survival, just get yourself out of the situation. And, you still can;t beat a bad ass dog and an alarm.

3. Likes TacoTank, PondSkum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the judge for easy, dark, point and marinade, but the pack of chihuahuas plus alarm are enough early warning to ratchet my 12ga pump loud enough for the last GTFO warning. Bird then magnum 000 then 1911.

7.62x39...I shot a deer perfect at 100yrds, ran In woods a little. Not
    Quite the punch of my 30.06, lol. Yes with my ak47.

.233/5.56 ....AR guys correct me if wrong: .223 only fires .223 but 5.56 will fire 5.56 and .223

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what those guys said. I will say this. I keep a round in the chamber of all my weapons at all times. My finger is my safety. I am not going to give any one a warning of what is coming their way. That is a dead give away to your position as well as turning on any light source until your muzzle is pointed in the direction of the target. I have trained my wife on how to clear the house and where to take up a defensive position so if for some reason I was to get hit and go down she knows what to do. We practice on a regular basis. I also have a really well trained 90lb Boxer, and I do mean well trained. Do to the lay out of my house I prefer to use my .45 for house clearing duty. I have the Winchester 1300 defender loaded with alternating rounds of 00 and slugs. They do have new shotgun ammo out for home defense that combines a slug with #6 shot. I would highly suggest you take some courses on home defense since it sounds like your fairly new to the concept. It is nothing like the movies. When a intruder enters yours house you will be dis-oreinted, terrified, you may freeze and not be able to move or you may not even hear them until there is a pistol shoved in your face. I have a long military background and my tactics are offensive, you will be taught the exact opposite of what I would do during a home invasion. But my experience gives me a much greater skill set than the average Joe, but also puts me at a much greater risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .223 was designed to enter the body and bounce around and tear up all the interior organs hince the piss poor kill rate. The intent was that for every 1 soldier you injure on the battlefield it takes 2 to 3 soldiers to take him out of the engagement area. If you take a gallon milk jug and shoot it with a .223 it will not exit the other side. Now if you shoot it with the 7.62 it will enter and leave the milk jug with a 4' hole on the exit side. The 7.62 will produce more 1 shot kills all day long. It lacks in the accuracy and long range department. The 556 excels in both. A 270 round is a best of both worlds if you were were to combine the 2. The AR platform offers this in the 6.8spc which is basically a necked down 270 round. Only draw back is availability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Sarge says is absolutely right. This is true statistic. In a close combat situation you have a 4% chance of hitting your attacker. Survival is not about killing. It is about getting out of the situation. So you can gain better control over it.
    Last edited by Stouttrout; 06-02-2012 at 05:16 PM.

8. Likes TacoTank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the judge I want one as far as security I have a dog, the neighbor has 3 I have a long Tom 20 guage I'm good up to 100 yds with a slug, 2 semi 22's one with a scope and one without, and a 22 mag derrenger which ain't much but in the dark sounds almost as loud as a 44 and has a 10 in barrel flash, AMD the hollow points will get you attention, plus u can hide it almost anywhere i can put it in my front pocket and you'll never know its there
    Live to ride, Ride to live ,That's how I roll

10. Likes TacoTank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Derringers. I am looking at getting a NAA PUG .22 Mag with a 1" barrel.

12. Likes Mudhog1977 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking this may be my next home defense weapon.

454 magnum revolver with 30mm grenade launcher
    6xwmc.jpg

14. Likes SGT. K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoTank View Post
    I think all my guns are same accident risk.
    Buddy this is 100% wrong...... If you follow gun safety rules there is no risk to you or anybody else as a matter of fact. To the OP it kind of sounds like your new to guns so please find someone that kind teach you proper gun saftey and handling for you and your wife...... as far as Zombies go, DOUBLE TAP!! and for research watch zombieland awesomw movie LOL