Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: home zombie defense - teach me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabob View Post
    ... If you follow gun safety rules there is no risk to you or anybody else as a matter of fact.
    ....thanks Kabob for clarifying that. It's basically what I meant. Having a loaded gun with a 10yr old daughter in my case means eliminating all risks from my (and wifes) actions, her actions and any potential guests that could cross paths with a firearm in our home. I teach her the safety mindset and take her to the range for that "contact" that tempts the curious. For the guests, I simply eliminate accessibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    somehow i'm not gettign update email on this anymore.

big thanks to everyone who has responded.

i am new to home defense thinking. i've been a target at the range or skeet shooter since i was 12. looks like more reading is needed for me here.

one more safety course will never hurt. i just don't like how fast pistols can be pointed. with my lack of attention control i don't want that speed in weapon movement.

.223 vs 5.56 what i think i know: you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 gun but not the other way around. the profiles are slightly different. 5.56 is set up for a bigger bang usually.

i looked into AK's more. it looks like an annoying gun to actually shoot. so any reason to get an AR set up for 7.62 instead of 5.56? ammo seems to b e about the same price.

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jam0o0 View Post
    somehow i'm not gettign update email on this anymore.
    Should work now.. let me know if it doesn't!
    2001 TJ - PondSkum
    Build in progress....

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn." ~ George Santayana

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just don't like how fast pistols can be pointed. with my lack of attention control i don't want that speed in weapon movement.
    That is the point of a pistol...lol, I would look into double action revolvers.

i looked into AK's more. it looks like an annoying gun to actually shoot.
    we should set up a day at the range,I would be will to let you or anyone come out to shoot and talk guns. You can try my AK and my M1 on for size.
    0701110826.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes you are correct in the 556 vs 223 the 556 has a much hotter powder load along with being slightly larger than the 223. It will cause a stoppage in the barrel and runs the risk of blowing the action apart. I will say this. Start out with what you a comfortable with and practice, practice, practice! When I was active duty we practiced every skill, as often as possible and a bunch of us would go to base range on our own dime and practice even more. You can't just practice once a month or 4 times a year. Shooting and firearms handling is a perishable skill if you don't practice on a weekly basis and intimately know your firearm it will be useless when it comes time to use it. Learn how to clear your firearm when it jams, stove pipes or breaks an extractor. You can buy snap caps that are dummy rounds that allow you to practice trigger control, breathing and reloading in the your own house. Practice shooting while moving. Go out side your front door sprint 50yds down the street and back then pick up your firearm and try shooting it, you will be suprised how difficult it is to hold your sight on target. Remember the difference between cover and concealment. Bullets go through interior walls, car doors, glass etc. You must know what is on the other side of those walls before you shoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always down for a range day. I prefer to shoot on private property as I have more control of a range and people who wish to rapid fire and actually work on skill sets have the ability to do that. A gun range is one of the worst places to actually work on any thing but the fundementals. I can't tell you how many people I have caught flaggin people down the line due to their lack of training and muzzle awareness. Well I guess I will quit here as I could go on and on and on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check this out info@memorialshootingcenter.com I would also highly recommend TOP GUN'S training courses as they are mostly staffed and taught by former active duty Marines. You could also check out Thunder Ranch and other top end shooting schools. I would start local if your on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoTank View Post
    ....thanks Kabob for clarifying that. It's basically what I meant. Having a loaded gun with a 10yr old daughter in my case means eliminating all risks from my (and wifes) actions, her actions and any potential guests that could cross paths with a firearm in our home. I teach her the safety mindset and take her to the range for that "contact" that tempts the curious. For the guests, I simply eliminate accessibility.

Thats great that your teaching your daughter about gun safety... Even if she chooses never to shoot a gun when she is older at least she will have that respect for what they are and not fear them

I dont have any kids right now so access to guns around my house well its really easy but when the nieces and nephews come over everything is unloaded and stored away in a room they cant get into so Im right with you when it comes to eliminating accessibility

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT. K View Post
    check this out info@memorialshootingcenter.com I would also highly recommend TOP GUN'S training courses as they are mostly staffed and taught by former active duty Marines. You could also check out Thunder Ranch and other top end shooting schools. I would start local if your on a budget.
    Top Guns are nice. Look for something that looks professional by appearance. Don't trust the RSO at what looks like its a 'Ma and 'Pa getup. Practice, Practice, and Practice!!! I agree with Sarge, I prefer a range that I TRUST is clear. I've been to a few that made me question on whether their RSO's were paying attention to the others on the range.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSO stands for range safety officer, memorial shooting center has had a few negligent discharges over the past couple of years all of which were in the news. Do your homework.