Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your chance to spend our money

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your chance to spend our money

In a couple of weeks, when my wife's sign on bonus comes in, we're getting out from under my GMC, and into a JK Unlimited. We've been wanting to do this for awhile, and now seems to be a good time. It will be my daily, so keep that in mind. We'll be using it for beach runs, and trips to different offroad parks. We don't want to climb the Empire State Building at this point, but it needs to be pretty capable. I want some vet'rn opinions on what mods to do, and in what order. I realize I just poured lighter fluid on myself, so torch away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would do everything to protect your investment and make sure you can still drive it after the weekend.RCV axles,fully gusset the front axle tubes,regear and lock, skids plates,rocker protection,low lift and 35"s.
    Don't forget tow points !

3. Likes PondSkum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look this up on Facebook Hollenbuilt they offer a cool light weight scratch protecter here is a pic of it on my buddy's jeep ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377520893.485319.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys. Since I posted this, I've been looking at threads on the JK forum, and got some ideas that follow your advice. Looks like it's going to be a 2.5" RK or Teraflex lift, 35s, and armor. As things progress, sleeve and gusset the front axles, too. There are those who say that lockers on an axle lighter than a D44 are not always a good idea, any thoughts on that? It's going to be an auto with 3.73s and limited slip, if that changes anything. I can't find Hollenbuilt on FB. The new search blows!
    Last edited by JJ331; 08-26-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Locker will be fine with the dana 30, u cant hold off on the rcv axle shafts unless u just got cash to blow. I just tack weld washers on top of the u-joints and wheel the crap out of it and have yet to break an axle shaft since that mod before that mod 3 front axle shafts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta see that. It doesn't seem like it would make much difference, but obviously it does. We're going to be moving out to Katy or Sugarland in the next few months, so we'll probably be making some of the Katy meetings. We already have a lot of friends out that way through Westside Mustangs. You may see us at events in the wife's GT/CS. It'll be the red blur, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Your chance to spend our money

Quote Originally Posted by JJ331 View Post
    There are those who say that lockers on an axle lighter than a D44 are not always a good idea, any thoughts on that?
    If its any help I have an 8.8 31 spline with 4.10's and a detroit locker. It has done just fine holding up 37" mil tires and any abuse I have put it through. It's all about how you drive it.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonitecb View Post
    If its any help I have an 8.8 31 spline with 4.10's and a detroit locker. It has done just fine holding up 37" mil tires and any abuse I have put it through. It's all about how you drive it.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic
    would that not be way to narrow for a JK? They are already narrower than aTJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JD01 View Post
    Look this up on Facebook Hollenbuilt they offer a cool light weight scratch protecter here is a pic of it on my buddy's jeep ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377520893.485319.jpg
    I don't know why but this made me laugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually kinda looking forward to the Woodlands Custom pinstripes. Then I'll know we used it the way it was intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by texasfrog View Post
    would that not be way to narrow for a JK? They are already narrower than aTJ.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why but this made me laugh.
    Ya I messed with my buddy about it to. But it does work and its not to expensive it gives the mall crawler a chance to experience "Offroad" and not have the brand new jeep all scratched up