User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My MB build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a lot of parts to gather yet hopefully I can buy a 9" next paycheck AMD then I gotta find a 302
    Live to ride, Ride to live ,That's how I roll

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess I should update this thread. I've changed drivetrain directions since a TDI beetle has become available. I've sold the 4.3/4l60e and am now going to run the 2000 TDI with a t176 and an np231/d300(4:1) doubler. This will allow me to keep the 4.11 gears in my axles, keeping the motor in the correct rpm range when on the street, and give me gearing options from the tcase, not to mention being almost a foot shorter than the original planned drivetrain. At the moment there is very little progress on the jeep itself. I have mocked some toy rear leafs under the front since they have the offset pin and I've got all the necessary components for the rear 4 link and air shocks.

I've been busy pulling the entire vw harness to be reused in the jeep since I know all the components work and all the thinking has been done for me. I plan on using it for everything including the tail lights. I've got the column and gauge out to be reused and the front end torn apart to pull the motor once I get the harness out. I cannot tell you how hard it was to find the ecu. Stupid thing was under the top cover of the dash in front of the driver in a little pocket you could only access by removing the entire dash. It has been a nightmare.

If anyone is interested I can post some pics of the torn apart beetle and how my frame sits now.
    1980 cj5, full metal cloak, 4.0, 4:1 d300, 33" tsl, widetracks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How u gonna do motor mounts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can do a truss system to utilize the front motor mount or there are some useable holes on the side of the block where I could make a cradle type setup. Either way it'll all be fab and those will probably be the hardest part of the install. Hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool was wondering bout that cause of the front wheel drive setup, if you need help and I'm off work I'll help out if you need me to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'll be in the shop all day Saturday if you'd like to swing by. Any help is always appreciated. I still gotta think of a name for this thing since it'll be a lot of German VW parts on a US Military MB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta work this weekend wish I could

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I finally got the motor pulled out of the Beetle. I figured I'd swing it between the frame rails and get a feel for what all I have to do. There aren't enough holes on the driver's side of the block for me to make a motor mount out of so I'm going to have to use the factor mount on the front of the block. The stock setup used that mount and the trans mount to hold the hold setup so I'm sure it will be sufficient in this application as well. As you can see I'm going to get some interference from the actuator for the turbo as well as the ac compressor. Unfortunately the TDI setups without ac placed the power steering pump in the same location as the ac compressor is now. I'm hoping I can come up with a way to eliminate the compressor and not relocate the pump.

Also, for a radiator, I can't use the factory rad because it is WAY to wide. The only option I've found for a rad with both outlets on the driver's side is on Summit and cost quite a bit more than I'd like to spend. Does anyone know of a rad that's 23" overall width with the outlets on the driver's side? This issue has me at a stand still.

20130120_163718.jpg20130120_163645.jpg20130120_163654.jpg20130120_163709.jpg20130120_163632.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess this thread is long overdue for an update. I've gotten a ton of things done. I'll try to update it this evening. And I promise it'll be pic heavy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)