Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar power questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar power questions

Where do I start? Not sure what all I really need. Want to be able to one day power a small AC and maybe a tv but mainly AC. Anyone have experience? What would I need to run a small 5000BTU through the night?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been tossing this one around in my mind as well. I'm thinking of a false bottom to house batteries and solar panels on the roof. I know you need a junction box to throw the panels into series and I believe you can do that with a breaker box as well. However your looking at added weight for all of this. I'm still designing mine in my head. I've thought about wind generation as well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with wind is you would need a huge prop. You can not use it going down the road because a free spinning prop creates a TON of drag. It is one reason planes being able to feather their twins in WWII was such a huge invention. The weight is very little in the full scope of things and when place right should not matter much when the benefits of being off grid are so great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. But I have a max tow of 2000lbs. Which is a hindrance.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about dragging the prop - design it to take advantage of the windage created in the rear turbulance? Kinda like those boat prop trailer hitches.

The biggest disadvantage to solar is the size of the cells required to generate the 1.21 gigawats that you require. Its fesable to recharge but would take longer to re-charge than discharge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UstabeaRenegade View Post
    What about dragging the prop - design it to take advantage of the windage created in the rear turbulance? Kinda like those boat prop trailer hitches.

The biggest disadvantage to solar is the size of the cells required to generate the 1.21 gigawats that you require. Its fesable to recharge but would take longer to re-charge than discharge.
    And you have to re-gear to get to 88 MPH!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you tow it or not, you will have a plate size wing in the back acting like a parachute. There is big difference between a 8" prop behind a F250 and a wind generation prop that is 8' behind a Jeep towing. It is like an AutoGyro. On an autogryro you prop is your wing becuase of the amount the of drag it creates.

I will Scoff at the 2000 weight rating on a TJ. I have towed 3500 and so has my old Jeep with the new owner. Your tongue weight and wheel location will make all the difference in the world. Also, clint your not going to be discharging at the same time or near the same rate. I am thinking 120 watts should do it. i can get that in one or two panels. Two panels would be a 65 and 65 so 130 watts and measure 1.5 x3.5 that coupled with two batts and a 30 amp charger should charge it full in few hours. An AC with a thermo that cuts it off at the right temp and your good all night and off grid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouttrout View Post
    Whether you tow it or not, you will have a plate size wing in the back acting like a parachute. There is big difference between a 8" prop behind a F250 and a wind generation prop that is 8' behind a Jeep towing. It is like an AutoGyro. On an autogryro you prop is your wing becuase of the amount the of drag it creates.

I will Scoff at the 2000 weight rating on a TJ. I have towed 3500 and so has my old Jeep with the new owner. Your tongue weight and wheel location will make all the difference in the world. Also, clint your not going to be discharging at the same time or near the same rate. I am thinking 120 watts should do it. i can get that in one or two panels. Two panels would be a 65 and 65 so 130 watts and measure 1.5 x3.5 that coupled with two batts and a 30 amp charger should charge it full in few hours. An AC with a thermo that cuts it off at the right temp and your good all night and off grid.
    I would have to agree with you on the tow capacities. As for the wind turbine...I was going to make one that was removable and tie it in series with the panels.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds interesting let me know how it works out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started small, I have a 23Ah deep cycle battery with that feeds a 200w inverter and cigarett outlet. It was enought to power a box fan for 2 nights and power the air pump to fill the air mattress. The next Northern Tool coupon ($20 off a $100 or $50 off $250) is going towards a Polycrystalline Solar Panel. I'm going to pick up a charge controller in the morning.

The Crystalline panels cost more than the Amorphous, but they are more effiecent so you get a smaller panel for the same wattage output.
    Justin
    TMTC Representative
    88 XJ - Dana 44s and jack stands