Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Civilian Radio Frequency Summary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Civilian Radio Frequency Summary

Civilian frequencies that we are allowed to use for 2 way communications are split between 2 rules regulated by the FCC. Part 95 is the first rule, which is usually limited manufacturing and wattage allowance. It is basically everything but Ham Radios. The second rule is Part 97 which is only Ham or Amatuer Radio.

Here is a brief summary of Part 95:

FRS: 14 UHF frequencies, no license or call sign required. These are the motorola radios we can buy at Walmart etc with a power limit of 1/2 watt.
    http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/fami...io-service-frs

GMRS: 23 UHF frequencies, which include the first 7 FRS frequencies. A license is required and a call sign must be used when transmitting, even when on the FRS frequencies because the power limit is 5watts. The license fee is $85 and it is good for 5 years. No test required.
    http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/gene...o-service-gmrs

MURS: 5 VHF frequencies. No license or callsign required. The power limit is 2 watts.
    http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/mult...service-murs-0

CB: 40 HF frequencies. No license or callsign required.*The power limit is 4 watts at the device and 12 watts PEP.
    http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/citi...and-cb-service

--------------------------------------------
    Here is a brief summary of *Part 97:

Amateur Radio (Ham): Several HF, VHF &UHF frequencies. License is required and callsign is required when transmitting. The power limit is based on the frequency which is typically 100 watts to 1.5 kilowatts.
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

Here is a shortcut to the FCC rules for part 95:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.5&idno=47

Here is a shortcut to the FCC rules for the Part 97:
    http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.6&idno=47

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a new option for short range. Cy-Fair CERT has leased 6 UHF frequencies in the 464mhz and 469mhz range. Once I get official authorization for club use, I'll post the frequencies and tones. This allows peeps without a ham license to use handheld radios in a more powerful and exclusive config than family band.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update. Cyfair CERT amateur radio committee denied my request to use their licensed itinerary frequencies for anything except official Cy-Fair CERT activities. Even denied use by only Tx4wd CERT team members on official CERT business that is not associated with CY-Fair CERT. Of course true emergencies are ok if it's the only option.

But, for you HAMS, they have in conjunction with Cy-Fair FD, put up an open repeater on 70cm (440mhz) band. It is also connected to an Allstar network that has several nodes around Houston plus a node on ECOLINK. That allows one operator at a time connect to the repeater over the Internet. I have ecolink on my iPhone, so I can use it to transmit and receive on the repeater when my radio is out of range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoTank View Post
    Just an update. Cyfair CERT amateur radio committee denied my request to use their licensed itinerary frequencies for anything except official Cy-Fair CERT activities. Even denied use by only Tx4wd CERT team members on official CERT business that is not associated with CY-Fair CERT. Of course true emergencies are ok if it's the only option.

But, for you HAMS, they have in conjunction with Cy-Fair FD, put up an open repeater on 70cm (440mhz) band. It is also connected to an Allstar network that has several nodes around Houston plus a node on ECOLINK. That allows one operator at a time connect to the repeater over the Internet. I have ecolink on my iPhone, so I can use it to transmit and receive on the repeater when my radio is out of range.
    For those of you looking for the iPhone app its "Echolink".
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What he said.

Also as a heads up before you non-hams rush to install it, if I recall correctly from when I set it up, you have to have an FCC assigned call sign to set it up the Ecolink app. It takes up a node when you connect to listen, so it's not like a scanner or radio that you can program to listen in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Civilian Radio Frequency Summary

What he said. Lol. It does require your licensed call sign.
    Because I'm AWESOME!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh, Why are you conncentrating on cy fair i know it is in your area, but why not ask tri-county and Katy area permission for thiers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuz I don't think they have leased any itinerary frequencies, especially for CERT.....Or at least not at the time when I got spanked for actually doing something. They didnt have a band plan for cert member radios, and i was just in their way. I haven't actually been to a cy-fair regular cert meeting yet, but my wife trained there.

I just collaborate with their cy-fair cert amateur radio committee and help with the public service net each month. I was Net Control a month ago and ran the meeting on the repeater. Does Tri-County even have/want a radio committee?

Btw, as far as repeaters, the Katy KARS club repeater is at the West I-10 FD on Franz. But I think they prefer you to be a member to use it. Can't remember for sure...but I have to have a super duper nonportable antenna to hit it with my handheld radio at my house. The Cy-Fair repeater is linked, stronger, and I can hit it hard from my house. My handheld will even hit it from Katy jr high without a high gain antenna.
    Last edited by TacoTank; 04-23-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Rambling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anybody running 10meter in their jeeps?