User Tag List

Thread: ok new question, what is clock springs in the steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok new question, what is clock springs in the steering

any idea where they are and how hard it is to replace them? what do they control?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you wanna ask that question after the response you got from the last question you asked? lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A clockspring or clock spring is a special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems. The clockspring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column.

- - - Updated - - -

Pick up the part at the dealer. They have them in stock since they sell so many. Different part numbers for cruise control or without cruise. I'ts not really hard to replace if you have basic mechanicical aptitude and some basic tools. Remember, airbags contain an explosive charge, so handle with care and avoid situations where you might zap it with static electricity.
    First make sure the front wheels are pointed straight ahead. The steering wheel should be in its normal position.
    Disconnect the negative side of the battery (1/2 inch wrench).
    Remove the three Phillips screws under the steering column shroud.
    Using an 8 mm socket remove the three bolts on the back side of the steering wheel.
    Lift the airbag assembly away from the steering wheel. Careful, there are wires attached!
    Flip the assembly over so you can see the wire connectors.
    Using a small screwdriver pry back the tabs for the cruise control connections and unplug.
    The air bag connector pulls straight out from the air bag. Look at the new clockspring and you'll see what I mean.
    Pull the plastic harness guide off the airbag studs.
    Disconnect the two ground wires. The one with the clear plastic tube over it has a tab you must depress while pulling it apart.
    Set the airbag assembly aside.
    Using a 21 mm socket (a 13/16" will work too) and a beaker bar, remove the steering wheel nut.
    Remove the counterweight assembly.
    Using a crayon or marker, mark the position of the steering wheel and the shaft so you get the steering wheel back on the same way.
    Use a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel. (Cheap to buy or rent).
    That black box with the warning labels is the clockspring assembly. Depress the two tabs (see the new one if not sure) and pull it out.
    Disconnect the two wiring connectors.
    Connect the wires to the new one and replace. This will break the seal. As indicated, do not turn anything until the steering wheel is tightened. There are two tabs on the assembly to keep it from turning until the steering wheel is replaced.
    Reverse the procedure to reassemble, except it is easier to put the column shroud on before the steering wheel. It was a little difficult to line up the two halves and get the screws going in the right way.
    Make sure all the wires are tucked in when reinstalling the airbag assembly.

When everything is done that pesky airbag light shouldn't come on while driving and you should have your horn and cruise control working once more!

- - - Updated - - -

Steerin wheel puller may or may not be needed. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU START THE REPAIR!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I replaced a crap load of these when I worked at infiniti takes about 15 min to fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did mine not long ago... was pretty simple.. I actually have pictures somewhere, I'll try to post them when I get time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, you will need one of these..

Disassemble the steering column covers, remove the air bag, remove steering wheel, and the clockspring sits right behind the steering wheel, center of the column.. it's already removed in this picture..

This is what it looks like, and it cost about $250 from the dealer...

- - - Updated - - -

if the clockspring goes bad, it can result in many symptoms, most comonly the horn doesn't work, airbag light will come on, and cruise control will not work (if equipped).. Some of all of those symptoms will appear, and I've heard of more including the gauges acting up and stuff... mine was only the horn, and airbag light, horn works now after replacing, but airbag light still on... I think it's another issue with that..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to clear the codes and see if that turns the air bag light off, it it comes back on then yes you got other issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    working good now, thanks