User Tag List

Thread: Toyota Pickup Gutting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toyota Pickup Gutting

Hey guys and galls, just thought I'd post up that I'm gutting my 22re 2.4L 4cylinder toyota pickup engine. Most likely have a blown head gasket or cracked head. The gutting process is coming along very slowly and I'm trying not to screw anything up. If you've ever done this before and have any helpful tips, please feel free to post them up. So far, I've just taken off the valve cover, distributor and power steering pump. Next thing I've got to do is remove the intake and exhaust manifolds, then get into breaking down all of the components within the head. Again, I've never done this before, so please feel free to offer any advice or cautions.

Thank yall, hope everybody is having a happy halloween.
    "Our Strength is Our Family"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id see how much a loaded head is and just swap it out if price is right. You can try auto part pros on 28th st in bryan, I've gotten 2 good motors from them for a great price. Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan on doing the rebuild yourself, once you have the block bored, make sure you purchase quality rebuild parts. I suggest www.engnbldr.com. They sell quality rebuild parts specifically for the 22re at very reasonable prices:

http://engnbldr.com/build-a-kit-85-95.html

For high performance parts for your 22re there is also www.lcengineering.com. Great parts, but very pricey.

My 22re was recently gone through completely. Had Joey's Engines in Houston bore the block 40 over. All the rebuild parts for the short block and the head were from engnbldr.com and purchased a torquer cam and long tube header from lcengineering.com.

Something else I suggest doing since you have the motor apart. Take your injectors and have them tested and ultra-sonically cleaned. Took mine to Engine Logics in Houston to be tested and one of mine was completely clogged and the other three were not spraying at full capacity. Pretty inexpensive service to have done for the peace of mind. They did mine while I waited for $25 per injector. Their website for their injector service is www.injectorrx.com.

My motor runs like a top now.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Likes PondSkum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help and tips, but I'm definitely not looking to replace the entire head unless the sucker is cracked. All I'm hoping to do is have to replace the head gasket. Once I take it all apart, will I need new gaskets for the intake and exhaust manifolds?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will want to take the head to a machine shop that can pressure test it.... even if you find a bad head gasket it would really suck to replace it and found out after you get it all back together that you still have a leak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a really good tip Kabob, thank you. Ill be sure to do that. Does anyone know of any shops in College Station/Bryan that could do that for a reasonable price?